From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:19:03 -0700

Hello List,

Although Celiac Disease is not a food allergy, it is somewhat handled in the same way (as we must monitor the foods we eat & ingredients, etc.)  With that said.... I'd like to share some great info about a cartoon episode that is dealing with food allergies....

The Disney Channel features a cartoon called JoJo's Circus that is aired once or twice a day.  Apparantly, they aired an episode on Monday, August 8th called "Tickled Pink" which explains (at the pre-school level) what happened to JoJo when she had an allergic reaction to Merryberries.  I did not see this particular episode myself, but have heard a lot about it.  According to the Disney Channel website, it is scheduled to air again on August 17th at 8:30am.  You may want to check your local listings, as the schedule I found did not list a particular time zone.  JoJo's Circus runs for 30 minutes and it appears that they show a 15 minute episode called "The Cricketeers" for the first 15 minutes, and then the "Tickled Pink" episode should air after that.  Set your VCR's, DVR's, TiVo's, or whatever.... for this 30 minute episode.

Sounds like this could help be a great teaching tool for younger kids, pre-school teachers, and to younger classmates/friends of Celiac Kids.

Melonie Katz
Northern Virginia