From:
Ellen Switkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 20:25:39 -0700

Antje Gehrken asked about the g-f status of sushi.  This is  just about the
only restaurant food I feel totally safe eating without a major inquisition.
I bring my own soy sauce.  The only caution I can think of is to watch out
for fake crab or other imitation fish which is almost always made with
modified food starch.  Also, it's easy to make sushi youself which is
fabulous tasting and very impressive.  If you even bring food to a party,
home made sushi will really wow your friends.  The sticky rice is made using
rice vinegar and a bit of sugar.  The fillings can be anything you like.
Wrap in nori (seaweed) using a rollup mat,  slice and serve. Colorful
fillings make the best impression.  No fish is needed, you can make it all
from vegetables (parboil carrots, stringbeans, etc to make then a bit soft
but still crunchy).  Fish used in sushi is normally raw (and expensive to
buy), so make sure it's really fresh or else don't eat it.

Ellen Switkes
Oakland, Ca