From:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela L Donner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:25:31 -0600
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Thanks to all who relpied to my request for advice on a crumble topping
for apple crisp.  So many wonderful ideas!

Here is a summary:

1. use GF Pantry Crisp and Crumble Topping Mix (5 recommendations)

2. recipe: 1 cup arrowhead mills rice flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1 stick
butter- blend till crumbly

3. use Mr Ritts flour blend www.mrritts.com

4. use crumbled Mi-Del Animal Crackers with butter

5. use coffee cake crumb topping recipe from Bette Hageman's cookbook

6. recipe (originally used for rhubarb crisp): 1.5 cups gf flour mix, .75
cup gound almonds, .25 cups sugar, .75 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch salt, 1
stick melted butter- blend till crumbly

7. use a blend of rice, tapioca, mung and fava bean flours (sometimes adds
a bit of Pamela's Pancake mix, sometimes substitutes half the sugar with
splenda, sometimes adds almond flour, uses more cinnamon and cloves than
recipe usually calls for)

8. use GF Pantry piecurst mix (make as directed) and add brown sugar and
broken walnuts

9. use Multi Blend flour mix by Authentic Foods

10.  recipe:
Joyce's Fruit Crisp
FOR TOPPING:
3 cups Enjoy Life Foods Granola Cereal
4 tbsp. rice or tapioca flour
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 tsp. fruit juice

FOR FILLING:
4 large Granny Smith apples
3 large pears
1 cup dried cranberries
½ lemon, juiced & rind grated
2 tbsp. rice or tapioca flour
2-3 tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. Enjoy Life Foods Granola Cereal

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or spray a 9" square baking dish.
2. Combine filling ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine topping
ingredients.
3. Spread half of fruit mixture into pan. Cover with half of topping. Top
with layer of remaining fruit mixture. Cover with foil & bake for 30
minutes
or until fruit is soft.
4. Remove from oven & cover with remaining topping. Bake uncovered until
golden brown, 10-15 minutes. enjoy!

11. use Pamela's baking mix with butter, cinnamon, and sugar (4
recommendations)

12. use Arrowhead Mills Wheat Free Baking Mix as a substitute for flour in
the recipe

13. recipe: I make apple crisp with a topping composed of:  gf granola, baby rice
cereal, grounds nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts, brown sugar,
cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter - I mix together in food processor until
crumbly and spoon over the apple mixture.

14. recipe:
I've been making this recipe for several months.  It does have oats in it,

and I have had no problem with it.  If that doesn't agree with you, you
could just substitute more GF flour.

1/3 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. Bob's GF flour mix
1/2 C. oats
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 C. soft butter
Combine the above ingredients.  Peel and slice about six big apples, such
as
McIntosh, into a Pam-sprayed 8" baking dish.  Spread topping over, and
bake
in a 375 oven for about 35 min. or until apples are tender.
My non-GF dinner guests loved it and couldn't believe it was GF.  (We
topped
it with Cool Whip, too, but ice cream would be just wonderful!)

14. recipe:
Apple Crisp
4 cups peeled & sliced apples or enough for an 8X8 pan.
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ t Cinnamon
¼ cup water
Fill pan with sliced apples.  Sprinkle apples with salt and Cinnamon.  Add
the water.
Blend:
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
¾ cup gluten free flour
Put on top of apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crumb mixture is lightly
browned.

15. recipe:
1/4 C butter
1/3 C packed brown sugar (generous)
1/4 C all purpose gf flour
1/4 C Bob's Red Mill biscuit mix
1/4 C Nutty Rice
!/2 C (generous) Nature's Path gf corn flakes roughly crushed

Mix butter and sugar and then mix in the other ingredients one at a time
and drop onto the top of the fruit to cover it completely.

16. use a mixture of rice flour and oatmeal

17. use quinoa flakes with brown sugar and butter

18. use recipe at www.rubyrange.com

19. use cornstarch instead of flour in a regular recipe

20. recipe:
APPLE CRISP
5 cups Granny Smith apples - peeled and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (McCann's)
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup  brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts pecans

Combine apple slices and 1/2 cup sugar in bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
Mix
butter, oats, flour, 1/2 cup sugar and nuts.  Sprinkle butter and oat
mixture over apples.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour
until topping is browned and apples are tender.  Serve warm.  This is
delicious topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

21. use Carol Fenster's flour mix with corn flakes to make it crunchy

Thanks!
Pam

*Please provide references to back up claims of a product being GF or not
GF*