From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:46:12 -0400

Thank you to those who responded for the wonderful, helpful info.  It's
going to make a big difference on our trip.  I was getting very nervous
about food, but now I feel confident that it will go well.

Dawn

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:
My sister and I are visiting WY next week - we both have CD.  We are flying
into Cody WY and then will drive into Yellowstone to stay 5 nights at the
Old Faithful Inn.  I've checked the archives, but there isn't much any info
on the places we'll be visiting.  So, please lend your experience to us!!
:)

Are there any places to buy GF food in Cody, WY?  -- We'd like to buy food
to take into the park with us.

Have you had any luck eating in Yellowstone or Grand Teton NP?  Where?  We
will be stopping at Old Faithful, Lake Yellowstone and Signal Mountain -
certainly other places as well.

Finally, we'll spend one day on our trip in Jackson Hole WY.  Any
suggestions for stores or restaurants there?

YELLOWSTONE INFO
******General
From me:  It's difficult to call ahead and speak to a chef.  The phone
number for reservations (both lodging and dining) at Yellowstone is
307-344-7311.  The folks at that number do not want to put you through to
the restaurant to speak to a chef.  But they will if you persist long and
hard (but I remained polite!!).  It's worth it to speak to a chef; the chefs
I spoke to were very accomodating even though neither had heard of CD before
my call.

"These maps will help you plan your days.  We only had one full day and were
very frustrated to not have this map for each section of the park.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/tours/oldfaithful/liststop.htm "

"We would recommend stocking up on the basics(cereal and bread) before going
into Yellowstone. We also paid extra to have a dorm sized refrigerator for
own room each night. We also purchased an inexpensive toaster when we
arrived in wyoming."

"You probably would feel better if you called ahead and spoke to the chef
there and asked if you could get plain meat, potatoes, vegetables, rice,
fish, etc.  - or at least to the manager to get the message across that you
are on a special diet and have a few special requests.  Tell them what you
can eat - not so much what you can't.  There is plenty celiacs can eat.  The
thing you have to make sure is that you get your message to the chef - not
the wait person.

Instead of sandwiches for lunch you can order a salad or omelette for lunch.

I highly recommend that you bring breakfast bars (I usually order
Ener-g-foods Granola Bars), but I see recently that Gluntino has come out
with some breakfast bars that look delicious.  IF you have room, you can
pack gf English Muffins and wrap them in a paper towel before giving them to
the waiter and ask them to microwave it for you (rather than toast it).  I
always micro any kind of bread, muffins, etc. I always bring Sesmark Rice
Thins (good with the cheese or peanut butter,) nuts, Enjoy Life Food Bars,
cookies, candy, etc., for snacks.

You bring your own gf food for your own sense of security (just in case) and
may never have to use it, but I would never travel without it.

I always bring a small "crushable" cooler with me (in my suitcase) and then
when I get to our hotel/motel I put ice in it and can always buy cheese,
fruit, etc. yogurt along the way and have refrigeration.  You don't have to
have health food stores to survive - there is plenty of food you can get in
the way of fruit and yogurt in plain old grocery stores."

"We managed quite well in the parks, mostly because we picnicked a lot (our
preference anyway), but it may be a bit cold for that in October.  I don't
know that you will find a lot at the "fast food" locations in the park, but
the nicer dining rooms at the lodges should be able to accommodate you.  Ask
for the manager or head chef, especially at the Old Faithful Inn (one of my
favorites)."

*******Old Faithful
From Me:  After getting some replies to my post, I called a chef at the Old
Faithful Inn (my son, a server there, recommended I speak to Kevin).  He was
very accomodating, asked a lot of questions.  He's going to prepare my
sister and I GF meals while we are there!  We plan to bring food with us and
eat breakfast and lunch from the stuff we bring.

"We did Yellowstone a few years ago and stayed at the Old Faithful Inn with
no problem."

"We ate dinner two nights in the cafeteria food court next to Old Faithful
to the right on this map. I think my celiac son got turkey and potatoes.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/tours/oldfaithful/oftourmap.htm "

"It has probably been 10 years since we went to the Old Faithful Inn at
Yellowstone, but I remember the food was fantastic."

"We tried to avoid the crowds at old faithful except to see the geysers."

********Lake Yellowstone
From Me:  I also made a reservation for dinner at Lake Yellowstone Hotel.
The dining room has a beautiful view of the lake.  I spoke to the head chef,
David.  He was excited to help us out and will cook our meal himself.  He'll
make a wine reduction sauce made with only wine and fresh spices (which he
is special ordering for us!!).

"We would recommend staying at the Yellowstone lodge on lake Yellowstone.
The restaurant at the Yellowstone lodge was accommodating but we had to ask
many questions."

********Grant Village
"We stayed at grant lodge while at Yellowstone...The restaurant at grant
lodge allowed us to bring our own cereal for breakfast for the children. We
had no problems with the service and the chef was willing to talk to us. We
packed sandwiches for lunch."

GRAND TETON INFO
"We had gluten free bread shipped to our hotel in teton village but were
able to manage
fairly well throughout the trip."