From:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:57:12 -0700

Hello All,

I am writing to hopefully make contact with any of you list members who may have first hand experience or good knowledge of having Celiac Disease and Type 1 diabetes together.

My 18 year old daughter Allison, has had Celiac disease for 13 years.  She has been relatively healthy, although very thin, most of her life.  She sees a pediatric Endocrinologist on a regular basis.  Allison was additionally diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 years ago.So, Celiac Disease, then Thyroid condition.  No surprise there.

Fast forward to this week...Allison's Endo dr. ordered a bunch of blood tests for her to make sure she was healthy before she went away to college in three weeks.  Mostly to test her thyroid and do a celiac panel but he decided to also run a comprehensive metabolic panel.  The blood work showed that Allison had a blood sugar level of 182.Her dr. was very concerned and did a couple of other finger pricks and blood tests in his office.  He then sent us home with a blood sugar test kit to test her blood before each meal and 2 hours after.
Allison's blood sugar before she eats is pretty normal between 64-102 but 2 hours after eating has been anywhere from 182 to 250 which is not good.  Her dr. says that her blood sugar does recover but it is taking too long.  He thinks that Allison has early stage Type 1 diabetes and wants to put her on insulin.

Of course all of this is happening THREE weeks before she goes 600 miles away to college.  UGH.

Here is where I could really use some advice from any of you all that have experience with this.I am wondering if having celiac disease in any way could be making her blood sugar stay high longer than someone without celiac disease?  Is that possible?  Or is it possible that what she eats could cause this?  She obviously eats a lot of rice based products.

Also, if any of you can give me advice on what we are going to expect in terms of her diet or any other issues, I think it would greatly relieve some of our anxiety about this whole thing.

Thank you all!

Beth
El Dorado Hills, CA