From:
Heather Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:20:27 -0500

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences with me.  I am sending a
summary per several requests.

I was diagnosed in 1998 with CD and had LASIK surgery in 2000.  Personally,
I had no complications and LOVE it!

I have one celiac friend who had LASIK and it didn't improve her vision as
much as she hoped.   She lives in another state now, but you might hear from
her.

My son had it and thought it was great.  He had it at a younger age,
probably in his 30's.  He was not dxd celiac but is GF.  He has some other
autoimmune issues.

I've had the Lasik procedure although it was prior to my knowing about the
Celiac disease and having auto-immune issues.  What does the auto-immune
issues have to do with having Lasik procedure?  Anyhow, I have not had any
trouble and it's been several years now since I had it done.  It's well
worth it.  Hope this helps.

I was diagnosed with celiac in 2001. Had LASIK in 2004 at the age of 41. I
had no problems with the surgery during or after. However, the LASIK did not
work for me, and I was back in glasses a year later. Since then, my eyes
have gotten progressively worse. Though I know the near-vision has to do
with age, I did not expect my distance-vision to get worse after LASIK, but
it has. I have no idea if this has anything to do with celiac disease, and
it's never been mentioned as a possible reason.

My daughter has had diabetes since she was 6 years old.  She is now 35.  She
had lasik about 5 years ago and hasn't had a problem with it.

- I had LASIK performed in 2001 and was diagnosed with other autoimmune
diseases in 2003 and Celiac in 2005. I know you asked about post diagnosis
but I had to tell you how happy I am that I did this. 12 years later my eyes
continue to be perfect. Believe me that my "unknown at the time" AI diseases
were raging through my body when I had the procedure. It's safer to do this
when everything is under control.

I was diagnosed in '97, had LASIK in 2002 with no problem.

*******
*******