Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:28:49 -0700

I wish I had read Diane's original post about her bad reaction to kefir.
I don't know how I missed it, but I would have enjoyed contributing to
it.  You all know how enthusiastic I am about kefir, but I've had a very
strange reaction to kefir myself within the last few weeks.  This may
sound bizarre, but when I'm drinking kefir, I have a strong niacin flush
after taking niacin.  I don't get a niacin flush at all if I'm not
drinking kefir.  Go figure.  I wish I knew what this means.  I just don't
understand what it is about kefir that causes me to flush after taking
niacin.  I don't know if it means kefir is good for me or bad for me.
(If any of you have theories, I'd love to hear them.)
        I'm very reluctant to give up kefir because (1) I like it and (2) I've
seen improvements in my family's health.  My bowel function, digestion
and overall tummy comfort are greatly improved since starting kefir
several months ago.  One of my sons reports less heartburn since starting
kefir.  Another son reports more regular bowel habits and that his
stubborn three year case of tropical "jock itch" cleared up after 4 weeks
of drinking kefir.  He's totally "converted" to "kefiring" and plans to
continue even after he moves out of state to attend college.
        An e-mail buddy with whom I've corresponded for several years, tolerated
store bought kefir and also kefir made from Yogourmet brand kefir
starter.  But when he drank home-made kefir from real kefir grains he had
a VERY bad reaction to it within seconds of ingestion (which he suggests
is indicative of chemical sensitivity).  Every kefir is just a little
different because kefir adapts to whatever kitchen it grows in picking up
new organisms from it's environment.  So if it happens to pick up a yeast
you are sensitive to, then you may have a problem with that kefir, but
perhaps not another kefir.  Weird, huh?
        Also, the microorganism complex of kefir varies according to the
temperature the kefir is cultured in.  Kefir grown in temperatures lower
than 60 degrees has less yeast and more lactobacillis than a kefir grown
at temperatures above 70 degrees.  For this reason, some people culture
their kefir in the refrigerator.  (It takes about 7 days to culture kefir
in the frigerator.)  They also culture this was as it makes a milder
flavored kefir.
        So . . . if any of you that have adverse reactions to kefir but are
reluctant to give it up like I am, you might find kefir tolerable if it's
made from store bought kefir starter or cultured in the refrigerator.
~Valerie in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!