Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:36:13 -0500

Here’s some common sense ways to reduce your chances of catching the flu
this season:

Wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands…
With water (temp doesn’t make a difference) and soap (a surfactant) which
allows the germs to slide off more easily for a minimum of 15 seconds, now
they are saying 20 seconds.
Keep your hands away from your face and nose!
Avoid shaking hands with everyone, or wash your hands as soon as you can
afterwards.
If you are out in public and encounter a person coughing and sneezing, move
away, turn around, get out of range without being downright rude (flu virus
is spread by hand and air).  The Chinese and Japanese are bold enough in
their countries to wear masks at peak flu season.
Avoid if you can going to large public gatherings with poor ventilation
(airplanes are notorious flu spreaders).
If you have plans with others and they are sick with flu cancel and
reschedule when everyone is better.
Keep yourself hydrated – mucus membranes of respiratory tract cannot
function properly to slough off offending agents and carry white blood cells
to fight off infection unless we are at optimum hydration.  Hydration is
especially important on airplanes.
Take a tablespoon of vinegar (I like organic cider) at the first sign of
sore throat sensation – vinegar can kill germs on contact.  Follow with a
tablespoon of your favorite locally made honey to soothe and sweeten your
pallet.  Vinegar works more often than not to rid yourself of sore throat,
especially strep infections.
Use honey instead of sugar for sweetening your coffee, tea, etc. – it has
immune enhancing properties.  I enjoy the juice of ˝ fresh lemon in hot
water with honey each morning.  I have no GERD issues.
I take Vitamin C regularly, and I make everyone in my house take it whether
they like it or not, especially the kids, to help keep everyone’s immune
system in tip top shape so they are less likely to become ill.
I go to great lengths to make sure everyone is eating properly during flu
season by providing fresh fruit easy to eat and home cooked vegetables,
again to improve our chances of fighting off infection.  Push the ones with
C and A.  Hide it in casseroles and soups if you have to.
Get your 15 minutes of sunshine a day – this should be at the top of the
list along with wash your hands.
When someone is sick in my house I diffuse lemon or other germ killing
essential oils throughout the house, use disinfectant sprays on doorknobs,
phones, pillows, every place I can think of that is commonly touched.
Assign the sick person their own drinking and eating utensils and have
others avoid contact with them.  Wash your sheets and blankets more often,
certainly after becoming sick.  If you work in an office take a disinfectant
spray with you and spray your telephone handset, doorknobs, etc.  A cheap
disinfectant you can make yourself to use at home on your kitchen and
bathroom counters is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.  Leave on for 30
seconds before wiping.  You can also make a disinfectant spray using Vinegar
2 parts to 10 parts water – just don’t mix vinegar and bleach together
(toxic fumes!!!).
Bathe daily, wash your face more often.  Cleanliness is next to wellness as
well as Godliness.

If you must be out in public and you are in the active phase, PLEASE wear a
mask if possible, don’t shake other people’s hands, cover your mouth and
nose when you cough and sneeze, and keep your tissues away from others to
prevent cross-contamination.

I’m sure others have additional common sense advice which I would love to
hear.  I wish everyone health this season, celiac regards, Dorina, near
Galveston, TX

*******
*******