From:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:58:22 -0400

Hi all,

My 7 year old has celiac disease and a friend of mine's sister has
celiac disease (let's call her Jane).  Jane is 45 and was walking
through a parking lot, felt a pain in her leg, long story short, she
broke her leg while walking!  Turns out she has osteoporosis.  Jane
has been diagnosed with celiac for 8-10 years, as I recall.  After the
fact, it seems that she should have had a bone density scan at
diagnosis and been monitored for bone loss.  She should have been
taking calcium and doing weight bearing exercises.  My friend says
that bone loss can be reversed up to age 40, but that after age 40,
it's a lot harder.

Is this something you all already know?

Has anyone had a bone density scan for their kids or is this an adult
problem?  At what age did you have your first bone density scan, if
you were diagnosed young?

Thanks,
Chris