From:
Steve Southern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:46:40 -0400

Hi All,
On August 4/1999 I posed a question regarding blood antibodies and the
potential for adverse reactions when new blood cells are introduced via a
transfusion. The original memo is included below for your reference.

First, to clarify, when I said IgA deficient what I meant was a complete
absence of IgA. I am not clear on all the correct terms, but this
co-worker's daughter has no IgA, zero.

I received eight responses and summarize herein. Two responses were
inquiries and two were miscellaneous comments. Another respondent noted that
he/she had heard of this before. Another shared her personal experience and
noted that not everyone who is IgA deficient builds up the antibodies. If
the antibodies do not build up, there is no related blood transfusion
problem.

Finally, two other respondents included web page references. The first,
http://www.icondata.com/health/pedbase/files/SELECTIV.HTM
deals with a "reduction in the production of IgA antibodies resulting in
recurrent respiratory and gastrointestinal infections." This is a different
issue. I include the page for your reference.

The second web page provided was very informative. It is,
   http://www.jmfworld.com/html/selective_iga_deficiency.html
It deals with "Selective IgA Deficiency." I include the following quote for
your reference.

"Another, more unusual form of allergy that occurs in persons who have a
total absence of IgA is an allergic reaction to IgA.  Exposure through blood
products containing IgA causes some IgA deficient individuals to develop
antibodies against this foreign protein.  In some cases, no previous
exposure to blood or blood products is known but such an antibody appears
anyway.  If an anti-IgA antibody develops, a massive  allergic reaction can
result during blood or plasma transfusions.  If possible, IgA deficient
persons who need blood should be tested for autoantibodies (antibodies to
the body's own tissues) to IgA before receiving blood products containing
IgA.  If autoantibodies exist, the IgA deficient person could receive washed
red blood cells, or blood products from another blood type matched IgA
deficient donor or from an autologous (from one's own body) blood donation."
from
   http://www.jmfworld.com/html/selective_iga_deficiency.html

I believe this is an issue that all celiacs should understand. If you are
IgA deficient you may build up antibodies. If you then receive a blood
transfusion the presense of these antibodies could cause a severe allergic
reaction. There is no certainty, but this may happen. A medic alert bracelet
is highly recommended. If you are aware of a future need for a transfusion,
e.g. major surgery, consider banking your own blood, or at least testing for
the antibodies.

Thank you to all respondents.

Regards,
Stephen (father of Braden, 5)

Original Memo ------------------------------------
Hi Folks,
I've just had a co-worker mention what I believe is a new twist - at least
for me - for celiac disease. Her daughter has been diagnosed as IgA
deficient but not celiac. Her problems are celiac-like, as in digestive
issues, diarrhea, etc.

But this is what surprised me. The doctor said that because she is IgA
deficient, her blood could build up certain antibodies, especially after
some significant trauma, such as child birth. And then, once the antibodies
were in place, if this girl is given a blood transfusion, there could be
serious complications. Something to do with the antibodies reacting with the
introduced (via the transmission) blood cells. The girl will be wearing a
medic alert bracelet for the rest of her life to warn health practitioners
about this antibody concern. She will also be banking her own blood.

Is this something that celiacs should worry about? Have any of you heard of
this before? I will summarize.

** Stephen H. Southern, B.Math., M.B.A.
** Analyst - Financial Systems and Processes, H.O. Finance
** The Economical Insurance Group
**
** Phone:  1 (519) 570-8500  x2614
** Fax:  1 (519) 570-8697  or  1 (800) 310-5092
** Email:  [log in to unmask]