From:
Jaclyn Martyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaclyn Martyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 11:21:19 -0400

Hi,

I've been avidly reading the recent posts about restaurant cooperation and lack thereof. Having worked in the industry for several years, I've grown accustomed to a certain level of professionalism in anyone associated with the food industry. The posts talking about how rude the managers were a shock to me. The fact that they were the least bit rude shows that they don't deserve to run a restaurant and ought to be washing dishes, at best. Waiters should be fired over rude conduct, because they're effectively driving away repeat business -and preventing expansion of clientele as well. I suspect that the case where no one knew what was in the food was a lie as chain restaurants have set recipes that don't change unless someone higher up says so. Boycott restaurants that will only serve plain chicken and rice, or similar. I've never been in a position where I've actually had to eat that -yuk!- while eating out -but it must suck. I know it's hard, but stick to places that are small -they care more about repeat business than large chains- and helpful. In my study of food, I have learned to avoid the following cuisines when eating out: Thai, Chinese, asian fusion -mostly anything that could have soya sauce. I've actually had some sucess with eating Middle Eastern food. The staff are always super helpful about checking with the chef. I guess what this boils down to is; if it's a chain, get the manager and the waiters name, then call and complain to whoever will listen at the district office or head office. Be vocal about it. Patronise resto's that do cater to g-f and let them know how much you appreciate their efforts. A simple thank you can make a busy cooks day. Call ahead to places if you're going for lunch -especially on a weekday. Foe those of you active in Celiac awareness and support groups, try inviting people from the food industry who don't know anything about g-f to meetings/infornmation sessions so they can relise that there is a growing segement of the population that they need to be able to accomodate with something other than boiled chicken and rice or salad.

I hope, as usual, that I've offended no one.

Regards,

Jaclyn