From:
"Jackie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie R.
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:55:48 -0700

Thanks to all the kind and caring people who responded.  Most had ideas
about what could be making our daughter sick (other than gluten), which
will be helpful when we go to the doctor's today.  These include: strep
(tested negative for this on Saturday), rheumatic fever, chicken pox
(had it when she was 3), peritonitis, rheumatoid arthritis (has been
tested for this before and result was negative), lime disease,
mononucleosis (she tested positive for this when she was 10 and the
first signs of acute gastric problems appeared - acute or chronic mono
and acid reflux was the doctors' best guess until she had an endoscopy
a year and a half later), coxsackie disease, flu.

We just got back from the doctor and he still is of the opinion that
she still has a viral infection that is affecting her throat.  He
thinks that her system is sensitive because of her celiac and that is
causing the nausea.  For those who asked, she is 14 and she has lost
about 3 lbs over the past few days because of the nausea, so it isn't
as severe as if she were much younger and smaller.

Of the foods I listed as potential sources of gluten, one person
thought I should double check the Pacifica almond milk as she thought
it contains malt (it doesn't), and one person had problems with
McCormick spices from time to time.  Others thought they all sounded
fine.

The follow up email on Newman's Own Organics, produced a few responses.
  Several thought that there would be no way that olive oil could ever
contain gluten because the processing is strictly controlled and gluten
would make the oil cloudy.  However, the process for drying fruit
sometimes involves using oils or flour on the conveyor belts to keep
them from sticking.  Another person noted he had problems with Newman's
Own tomato sauce.  One person noted that there is a list of gluten free
foods at newmansown.com.  I emailed Newman's Own and asked about the
raisins and olive oil and will let you know if I hear back.

One respondent suggested that I check the Delphi Forum, which is filled
with friendly and knowledgeable people and great recipes
(http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start).

I appreciate all of you for your support and ideas.  Aren't we lucky to
have this list?