From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:55:01 -0400

Thanks for the overwhelming number of e-mails regarding HLA testing.  I
heard from many people who are wondering if HLA testing would provide a
definitive diagnosis.  Bill Elkus suggests reading the list archive on
HLA testing.  I hope my interepretation of this summary is correct: DR3,
B8 and DQ2 markers are associated with CD.  To a lesser extent DR4 and
DQ8 molecules are associated with CD.  "Some very few Celiacs are
neither DQ2 nor DQ8 implying that HLA typing is not a perfect predictor
of risk for Celiac Disease".  I'll be the first to say that I need "HLA
for Dummies".  Perhaps (after reading the archive) people could e-mail
any questions to me.  I will consolidate and post them.  Further
questions: if there were many people interested in HLA testing, is there
a lab that would test us as a group?  Would anyone be interested in
conducting a study of "unconfirmed celiacs" with correlative HLA
testing? Thanks for all your replies!  Sally