Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:47:25 -0700

Many thanks to all who sent links to recipes and suggestions for
gluten free gnocchi.  I checked, also, with the Italian gf sites and
finally came up with a recipe to try.  I also added a few of my own
"thoughts" to the recipe.    The gnocchi were difficult to make,
because the dough wasn't very cooperative when it came to shaping
them. In the end, however, they were really quite yummy under a plain
tomato sauce.  The recipe made a LOT, so I have enough for a second
round one night this week.  I boiled the ones we had today.  I think
I will try pan frying the next batch, per a recipe I saw on one of
the Italian sites.

Gnocchi di Nonna Lorenza

1 kg (2.2 lbs) baked, mashed potatoes
1 kg (2.2 lbs) gf four (I used Bette Hagman's mix)
1/2 teas. Xanthum Gum (my addition to the recipe)
1/2 cup Ricotta (my addition to the recipe)
100 g. (3 1/2 teas) grated Parmesian cheese
3 eggs
salt
water

Bake the potatoes, scoop out, and put through ricer.  While potatoes
are still hot, mix with the gf flour, Xanthum gum, Parmesian cheese,
ricotta, and salt (to taste).  Mix, then knead together, adding a
tiny bit of water a dribble at a time until the dough is manageable
(but not sticky) and easily rolled out onto  a lightly  floured
board.  Cut into 1" strips.  Cut each strip into 1/2 inch bars.  Roll
this on fork time to form gnocchi shape.  Leave gnocchi in glass tray
overnight in fridge to firm up before boiling the next day.  Toss on
your sauce of choice.

If anyone tries making gf gnocchi and finds some additional helpful
hints or a better recipe, please share.  So far, these work for me.

Thanks,
Nina    : )
Phoenix
Diag 1996