From:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ona Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:51:30 -0800

Marvelous discussion, Everyone.  I LOVE IT!  I am learning so much!!!
  Thank you for keeping me up-to-date and well informed.
  The summaries will keep on go'n as I receive the emails.

  With gratitude,  Ona   :o)

  1)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NO GLUTEN
  Because cornstarch does not contain gluten.
  2)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  REPLY TO S#1 WHEAT PROTEIN
  The only answer that "makes sense" to me is #5, "WHEAT PROTEIN"
  3)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cornstarch is made from corn -
  4)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  STARCH
    It's the protein, not the starch, that people react to.  Starch is part of the grain, but it has the protein (at least most of it) removed.
  5)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DIFFERENCT KINDS OF PROTEINS
  Well to begin with, corn is a monocot seed and I think wheat is a dicot (meaning the seed is divisible in 2 sections) so it is not so closely related.  I believe barley and rye are also dicots.  I am not sure if oat (with hordein protein that some celiacs react to) is a monocot.  The attached website page says it is monocot.

  When you separate wheat starch from wheat flour as in some European countries, you still run the risk of getting the gluten protein.  When you use corn starch in a product, it does not have the gluten protein specific to wheat so it is safer from that standpoint unless it is processed on equipment with wheat flour.

  Corn, sorghum, broom corn are all in another family of plants.

  Corn has some incomplete proteins I believe, but wheat has been rehybridized in recent years to greatly increase the protein (gluten) in the grain by cross breading to make a lighter (gluten) loaf and increase protein content because of the emphasis on vegetarian diets.  In corn starch, they keep the starchy part and mill away the germ where the protein and fat are to make corn oil and other processed products.  In flour they try to retain the protein and just get rid of the bran I believe.

  Your writers are correct that celiac is an IgA response (mucosal) and true allergy as we think of it (hives and histamine) is an IgE response.  I am not sure what the IgG represents because we were tested for both IgA and
  IgG when we were screened for celiac disease after our child was diagnosed.

  As time passes and we are gf, we have found allergy to corn byproducts (citrates in vitamins and citric acid, both from corn starch hydrolyzed) have all but gone away.  Corn starch seems to promote less of a reaction, but we now have an allergy problem with eggs (also a protein). This is not
  surprising since much of the immune system to virus and bacteria is based on the body seeing it is a foreign 'protein'.

  Please keep the summaries coming.