From:
Steve Majerus-Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:22:59 -0500

WOW! A dozen people wrote to me about the Crunch Master cracker mystery. I
learned how to find them and how delightful they are. Well, to be fair, nine
people loved them, two were naysayers and one person wanted to know more.

For the curious among us, here's the skinny:

According to those who wrote, the are Crunch Master, oven-baked rice
crackers in a four-pack, distributed by Unified Products, Inc. of Torrance,
CA 90505. [log in to unmask]

Some said they get them at Costco in the bread and chips section; one person
said they buy them in a health food store. Some said Costcos sell different
products in different stores, depending on demand, but will take customer
requests. One said they are Kosher and are made with rice and corn flour,
but I think it must depend on the flavor because some people sent ingredient
lists and they were different.

First, the raves: "They do have a website www.crunchmaster.com. The
website is a bit difficult to navigate - put your cursor over the
objects that are being juggled and you'll see a list of things you can
click on to the right. Costco will carry them only if there is a market
in that particular store, if they are not a good seller the shelf space
goes to something that is.  They said you could get them mail order.  It
is a little bit more, plus shipping, but it may be worth it to you - it
would be for me!   It is $16/12 trays + $5.50 s/h.  It's still only
$1.79/tray which is a good price for anything that is gf.  Their number
is 1-800-239-2259."

"They come in cheese and sesame.  I have some cheese ones here and the
ingredients are rice flour, safflower oil, cheddar cheese flavor
(cultured milk, why protein concentrate, hydrogenated soy oil, lactose,
salt, buttermilk, annato extract color, enzymes), lecithin.  Under that
it says "no wheat added".  They also say "Made in the USA" and oven
baked rice crackers on the package. The package is 3.5 oz and contains
about 48-50 crackers.  They are almost like Sesmark Savory thins, but a
bit lighter."

"The "original" flavor I have in my cupboard lists the ingredients as: corn
flour, masa (corn with a trace of lime), expeller pressed canola oil,
natural butter flavor."

Now for two dissenting views: "I have seen the rice ones at costco, but
they have dehydrogated oil in them....not good for the heart."

"You can find Original Savory Thins (rice cracker) for $1.30 at Trader Joe's
and I've also seen them (more $$$) in the deli sections at grocery stores.
I ate and loved them even before going GF.  I know the crackers you're
referring to at Costco and quite frankly they weren't all gluten free, maybe
one pack out of four."

Now I am quite curious to try them, and I do thank you all so much for your
help!!!

Jackie