From:
Greg Schoenborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:00:48 -0500

Yesterday I had a terrible experience. I was working at my desk at home and
all of a sudden I started getting this very drenching cold sweat. Within
minutes I was soaked. I also felt very confused and a terrible headache.
I had my biopsy done on Monday so it will be another week or so before I
get the results, so I cannot say for sure I am "celiac", but I don know for
sure I am gluten intolerant. I also know I have been passing undigested
carbs (potatoes, ect) and the like. I have been GF for 19 days. It is
making a difference already.

I called a friend immediately and they said to get some sugar in me ASAP. I
ate two pears and gulped down a bunch of honey. I was so freaked out and
felt so bad (anxiety attack kicked in after the attack which made it worse)
I went to the hospital ER. Of course, by the time I got there I felt
better, except for a pounder of a headache. And, of course, I probably
skewed the test by ingesting sugar before I arrived. My blood work showed
my glucose level  at 85. I know my glucose levels have always been
borderline at 120, so I was surprised to see that 85 level. I thought I had
enough to eat yesterday, but maybe not enough to contribute to the problem.
I had four buckwheat gluten free waffles at around 10:30 am with some honey
and that was it until I had my attack at around 4:30 pm. Also, I was very
stressed yesterday, as I have been almost 6 months because all of this.
Also, it is very difficult for me to sleep with all the stress.
I ask the doctor if this was a sign of diabetes and she said normally it's
starts the other way with hyPERglycemia, insulin abnormalities, thirst,
ect. She attributed it to carb mal absorption over a period of time and not
enough to eat.

Also I do have erosive esophagitis and take two, 30 mils of prevacid a day.
That is double of what your are supposed to take.

My questions are:

Has anyone else had this experience?

Should I attribute this (and did you) to carb mal absorption?
Did this problem end once you villi healed?

If you have this problem, how do you manage it?

And for the Prevacid issue, I know this knocks out your stomach acid.
People have told me stomach acid is basically for first line defense of
bacteria, and not really needed for digestion. Do you have any knowledge
about this and do you think it is interfering with my carbohydrate mal
absorption?

BTW, I have had a COMPLETE pancreas work up with blood and imaging over the
summer, so I know it is not that.

Thank you very much.

I will try and put a summary together from your responses.

Greg Schoenborn
www.schoenborn.net