From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:40:12 -0700

Why do you need freeze dried meal kits?  I know they are easy but....

My husband and I like to do just what I think you are describing.  We camp and go hiking during the day.  We take day trips where we hike up mountain trails for 4-6 hours a day.  I am celiac; he is not.  On the trail we usually have fruit, crackers for him, and a protein bar (Larabar etc. for me) and/or cheese strips and carrots.  Keep it simple.

When we get back to camp (3 miles from town) we go into town for ice and we stop for hamburger, eggs for breakfast, canned goods, more fruit, and bread for him. We make chili using canned beans, hamburger, chili spices, and an onion.  Sometimes we'll do beef stew out of a can.  Sometimes it's hamburger patties with fried potatoes and onions with another vegetable.  There are lots of other dinner ideas you can do using canned goods.  Take along some Thai Kitchen rice noodles, spices, and dump in the vegetables you like.  Get creative.

I must admit I don't eat bread anymore.  I do have oatmeal occasionally as it doesn't seem to bother me and sometimes quinoa.  I eat lots of  rice, beans, lentils, and tortillas too.  I don't miss it if I don't think about it.  It might be different with kids.

Many years with scouts,   there are many things that are easy and good.

  Breakfast omlets is always an easy sell.

   Boil water in a gallon or two gallon pan.

    put one or two eggs in a freezer bag, and let everyone make their own omlet.

   Seal and squish the eggs until they are mostly scrambled.

     add whatever you like to the eggs in a bag.  cheese,onion,sausage,bacon .....whatever!!!!

   Seal the bags and place in the boiling water.

   Lift the bag ever so often to check to see if they are done.   It will take 4 or 5 minutes to cook.

I know that Earl Ley would greatly appreciate you sharing any information you receive on your post. He is riding a bicycle from San Diego to Florida and will need some meal sustinence as well as the bars and snacks he has received. You can read more about him and his ride by going to www.gluten.net and going to Follow the Ride. If you would like to forward him any meal information you get, you may contact him at [log in to unmask] I am including him in this message in hopes there will be some great results for him.

there was a post to the list about 4-6 months ago about a line of freeze dried foods - a few of which looked to be gf.  You could look in the archives...

Alpine Aire is the only co. I know of that does GF freeze-dried camping meals.  Sorry I can't give you a review because virtually all of their GF products contain dairy or corn, which puts them off-limits to us.

Where we live, Mountain House brand dominates the market.  They add wheat gluten & corn gluten to most of  their products.  I've tried to contact them about manufacturing practices, but have not rec'd any response that gives me confidence re: cross-contam issues in those few products (like plain freeze-dried meats) that do not list added gluten.

Casbah & Fantastic Foods have powdered bean mixes (hummus, black bean) that

are GF.  These prepare real fast with a little water added, and are a pretty tasty addition to the backpacking menu.

And then there's Spam.

Looking forward to your summary

Funny you should mention this as I was just checking into this yesterday. Although I don't need it for camping, I want it for when I travel and don't have access to anything but catered meals.

I found a company called AlpineAire. Check out this list of GF products! They provide a special gluten free list!

http://www.aa-foods.com/instant.cfm?insName=3

Looks like you can order them from the web and they also have some of them at REI.

Susan

Carriefaith

Jul 5 2005, 06:49 PM

Thai kitchen has instant rice noodles that are super easy to make, just place them and the seasoning in boiling water, let it sit for a while and voila!

These ones should work well if you have pots:

http://p2.hostingprod.com/@thaikitchen.com...icenoodles.html

I like Thai Ginger and Spring Onion

These ones should work well if you don't have pots:

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

I like Thai Ginger, Spring Onion and Pad Thai

*don't get Hot and Sour Rice Noodle Soup Bowl NOT GF

Here is their gf list from their website:

QUESTION:

Which products are wheat/gluten free?

ANSWER:

Most of Thai Kitchen products are wheat/gluten free. The exceptions are Hot and Sour Rice Noodle Soup Bowl, Peanut Sauce Mix, Peanut Bake, Savory Garlic Stir-fry Rice Noodles (5.3oz), and the Lemongrass and Chili Rice Noodle Soup (5.3oz box), Toasted Sesame Stir-Fry (New) and Curry Stir Fry (New).

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson