From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 17:38:55 -0500

I recently visited Colorado Springs for several days and had requested
information  on places to eat.  There were so many requests for the
replies that I decided to post to the group.  These three were all
recommended by a local resident.

Primitivo- 28 S.  Tejon, 719 473-4900, www.primitivo.com A sophisticated
place in downtown Colorado Springs.  We made reservations with Mike, who
assured us the gluten intolerance could be handled.  We enjoyed the
Tasting Menu featuring the wines of Italy.  It was a 5 course menu, and
needed only 2 moderations to accommodate me.  Leaving off croutons, and
eliminating the almond cookie that came with the panna cotta.  They
change the featured menu once a month, so call to see what is being
served when you go.

The next night we went to the Cliff House, 306 Canon Ave, Manitou
Springs7 719 685-3000 or 888 212-7000 www.THECLIFFHOUSE.COM and enjoyed
their 3 course Early Dining special for only $20.00.  Chef Rob offered me
a substitute dessert which suited me fine.  The Veal Tenderloin was
great, and served with roasted eggplant ratatouille, none of which had to
be modified.

The last evening we went to Gertrude's, 2625 W.  Colorado, in Colorado
City, 719 471-0887, which says on the menu that they serve rice pasta on
request.  Their menu was the most limited I came across because many of
the dishes with the full dinner had soy sauce in the marinade.  They are
known for a flourless chocolate cake, which was very good, but they will
not disclose the ingredients, so if you have multiple sensitivities, you
might beware.  I ordered it, since I felt the chef had enough
understanding of gluten intolerance to understand the hidden sources.  I
had no problems after eating it.

Otherwise we ate breakfast and lunch at the Broadmoor, where we were
staying.  They couldn't have been more attentive.  Their computer screen
had me pegged and the person seating us would ask if I were the Mrs
Barfield with the dietary restriction.  The Broadmoor is renovating in
many areas, so some restaurants were not available.  The breakfast buffet
was really nice and I took my bread with me for them to toast on a clean
pan.  I watched the omelet being cookedand there was nothing glutenous
looking within reach, and I had no problems.  If you are ever wanting a
nice breakfast buffet in Colorado Springs (for ($14.00), this is the
place to go.

Other places recommended but not enough time to try, were:

La Caretta, a small Mexican restaurant, very knowledgeable and with
delicious food.  Even their margaritas are okay.  Located at Iowa and
Kiowa.

Jun Sushi in the northern part of town.  Local resident takes her own
tamari.

Petite Maison, French, on Colorado Avenue.  Lovely.

Mona Lisa   A fondue restaurant outside Colorado Springs.  The person
posting this information said they called ahead, and the chef prepared a
special cheese fondue so it would be GF.  Same for the chocolate fondue
for dessert.

Outback Steakhouse was recommended by a new local celiac, who has not
eaten out since being diagnosed.

My husand has learned that the best way to find excellent meals in a new
town is to ask a celiac!  We certainly enjoyed Colorado Springs dining.
Thanks to you who sent the suggestions.