From:
Christine Coppinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:00:50 -0500

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses!  I'm sorry this summary is long
overdue, but work has been crazy!

I had about 20 replies.  It was almost equally divided with those
recommending Celiac.com's "Forbidden List" and those recommending a
recent article in Gluten-Free Living (I have not seen that yet).

Maltodextrins are said to be safe. It is produced from corn or potato.

Celiac.com quotes Dextrins to be on the Forbidden List, however, a
footnote references the Gluten-Free Living article saying it is safe.
One person cited the TCCSSG shopping guide which states to question
Maltose (a dextrin)  if listed.  Others are safe.

Modified Food Starch proved to be a much stickier issue.  The source of
modified food starch can come from many sources (corn, wheat, potato,
etc), and therefore, should be investigated each time prior to
ingesting.    "Starch" on the other hand, is always made from corn in
the US.  However, this is not true for pharmaceutical products.

Thanks again for your help!

Christine
Atlanta, GA