Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:30:10 -0500

I have received many helpful replies to my query regarding gluten free baking and possible problems digesting sorghum and/or xanthan gun. Thank you!

In my query, I forgot to mention that in addition to having celiac disease, I am allergic to soy, egg whites, tomatoes, peanuts (but not tree nuts), tuna, and am lactose intolerant. I am also avoiding butter right now because it seems to cause me and my son digestive problems.

We don't seem to have problems digesting dairy-free dark chocolate, beans, or fatty foods such as red meat. I started using Bio-Zyme by PhytoPharmica a few days ago (it is a digestive enzyme combo). If anyone out there has any other recommendations regarding digestive enzymes, please let me know.

Here is a brief summary of the information I have received so far:

One person reported she and her husband ate the Bob's Red Mill brownies and had digestive problems but did not have problems when they ate items made with the Bob's all purpose mix. She suspected the brownies caused their digestive problems because of the high fat content. She suggested Pamela's Ultra Chocolate Brownie Mix. Another person also sent me email suggesting Pamela's mix (she said she follows the cake recipe because the brownies are rich--she also commented that sorghum and bean flours can give people gas).

One person reported reacting to sorghum, millet, and amaranth.

One person suggested Gluten Free Pantry's Truffle Brownies and suggested I use light olive oil rather than butter. She also suggested I look for recipes at www.epicurious.com She asked me whether my pans or beaters might still have wheat flour residue. A few other people also asked whether my cooking utensils, baking pans, might have traces of gluten on them. They also asked me about possible cross contamination.

When I made the brownies, I beat them by hand with a spoon in a ceramic bowl. The metal pan I baked in is quite old and had previously been used to bake items containing wheat. I did wash it thoroughly. Do people on this list think I should toss the baking pan out and buy a new pan? Is it possible for traces of gluten to lurk in the metal even after it is washed many times in the dishwasher?

Several people mentioned that celiacs can have problems digesting carbohydrates. One person mentioned that this carbohydrate intolerance can be aggravated if yeast is eaten along with carbs.

Several people reported adverse reactions to eating flour mixes made with beans.

Several people reported adverse reactions to sorghum flour (one person said sorghum is related to corn).

One person suggested I find a brownie recipe made with rice and said she was not able to eat potatoes and beans until she had been GF for 2 years. She said Bette Hagman has wonderful recipes (but she also suggested I stay away from bean flour mixes for a while).

One person suggested I check out the mixes at www.therubyrange.com

One person reported that sorghum was not a problem for her but that she did not handle xanthan gum well (causes her bloating and diarrhea). She said she uses carob bean gum which she said is almost impossible to find in the US, except in commercial quantities, although it's available in Germany under the brand name Tartex Biobin. She said she doesn't typically use guar gum, but does not have a problem with it. Said Ener-G Egg Replacer works ok as a binder on some things, as does gelatin.

One person suggested Arrowhead Mills Brownie Mix, use vegetable oil, eggs or egg substitute and water.

One person said she had been GF for about 19 months. She suggested I try using digestive enzymes and said she received a prescription for Creon 20 from her GI doc. She said she also avoided dairy products.

One person reporting not having problems with xanthan gum, but had heard of people having reactions or sensitivity to it.

One person recommended featherweight brand baking powder and said it improved his baking. He also sent me a recipe for potato chocolate cake and commented that he liked making scones using the Bob's Red Mill Sorghum flour. He said he had not had problems eating the Bob's Red Mill products but that he had digestive problems when he ate some of the gluten free pantry products.

One person reported not being able to eat flour products of any kind or grains (no breads, no rices, no processed food made from four or grain, no corn, no baked goods).

Another person recommended Pamela's Choc. Brownie mix and said she makes it with butter. She did say that her daughter still has gas/belching caused by food and said that her daughter takes Nexium AM, Zantac PM, and that her daughter's physician said that her daughter's problems with belching should dissipate after she has been GF for a longer time.

One person reported having problems with xanthan gum, tapioca, sorghum, and cornstarch. She recommended that I try making brownies by Really Great Food company and said I could purchase the mix at www.glutensolutions.com (she likes to add Nestle's Choc Chips to the mix).

One person said she uses cornstarch in place of all purpose or cake flour and reported not having to use xanthan gum with cornstarch.

One person reported using sorghum instead of rice or soy flour. She said she buys her sorghum flour from Twin Valley Mills in 25 lb tubs. She recommended Carol Fenster's Special Diet Solutions and said she likes this book because the recipes are easily adaptable because alternative ingredient suggestions are listed.

I will post another summary after I receive more suggestions. Thanks again!

Alicia
in Chicago