From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:26:47 -0400

Here's the summary of the approximately 50 (!) responses I got to my question about what to eat at a Japanese Sushi/Hibachi steakhouse restaurant.

I am most grateful to all of you and hope I did the summary justice. Yesterday's restaurant was huge and crowded. I arrived early and try to size up the place and decided to stick with plain steamed shrimp & vegetables and plain steamed rice. The rest of the guests at the party had hibachi grilled stuff....With 16 people at two grills...including 8 hungry kids, I didn't want ask to make mine first and disrupt the flow. Once the chef started cooking, there was non-gf sauce on the grill.  I had a great time and will take this summary (with appreciation to you) to a quiet sushi place soon, and speak with the chef directly. Thanks, again. I hope this list proves useful to you.

Sushi & Japanese Restaurants   April, 2007

Avoid:

Their Soy sauce, oyster sauce.

Crab or lobster. Probably Krab, called Surimi, artificial product made of wheat, unless you can confirm that it is real crab or real lobster.  Common in California rolls.

Wasabi paste and ginger unless you ask the chef what is in it.

No rainbow rolls.

Eel..made with sauce with gluten.

Roe/tiny eggs/tobiko..commonly made with soy sauce. Red eggs sticking to the outside.have wheat to make them stick.

Sauce for spicy tuna is usually not gf.

Rice that is marinated in sauce or broth.

Japanese green tea..may have barley.

Miso soup/miso paste.

No tempura, breaded meats, or chips.

No crab sticks.

Safe---with caution:

Eda Mame (soybeans)

Cucumber, avocado, tuna, salmon, mackerel, rice, seaweed.

All raw fish (sashimi.no rice, sushi.with rice.question the rice ingredients.)

Nori.seaweed sheets

Pickled ginger (Don't beat me up on this one.)

Rice vinegar.with sugar as salad dressing. You can bring your own.

S&B Red Pepper or S&B Assorted Red Pepper (Nanami Togarashi).very spicey..Authentic Japanese restaurants will have these in little bottles.

Sriracha sauce..Asian hot sauce.comes with a rooster on it, called rooster sauce.

Cucumber salad is usually safe. Ask.

Omusubi or onigiri.steamed rice balls.ask what's in them. Can order them without filling/wrapped in Nori (seaweed  sheets).

Salmon (not with questionably seasoned skin), tuna (maguro or toro or tekka), yellow tail (hamachi), mackerel (saba), shrimp (ebi), omelet (tamago -nigiri style).

Nigiri style is fish on rice, comes in 2 pices.

Maki style, a small piece of fish, wrapped in rice, held together by seaweed, 6 rools.

Vegetable rolls: raw cucumber and/or avocado, asparagus or mushrooms may be steamed or cooked with seasonings.ask about the seasonings.

Philadelphia roll: smoked salmon, cucumber &/or avocado, scallions.

Boston Roll: shrimp, lettuce (mayo-two said ask about the mayo. I don't know why.)

Saki is safe. It's the green tea that might have barley in it.

Recommendations:

Bring your own soy sauce: La Choy, San-J. Raw fish tastes blah without it.

Bring your own rice vinegar.

ASK THE CHEF ABOUT INGREDIENTS.

Ask that the chef to change his gloves and keep your sushi/sashimi on it's own plate,  and tell the chef to use saran wrap on his bamboo rollers, a clean knife, & a clean cutting board.when making gf rolls.

If something looks breaded or brown, don't get it.

Ask about MSG, if it's something you react to. (Doesn't have to be a gf reaction.)

I'm adding....don't go when it's crowded!!!

Controversial:  Appeared on  both "to avoid" and "is safe" emails.

California rolls, because of the fake crab.

Spicy tuna.appeared on opposite lists, both with confidence!