From:
Sylvia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sylvia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 06:06:20 +1000

Hi, fellow list members,

Thank you for the responses to my query, I am now a lot wiser about this
condition.

All respondents knew people who had had this condition, in one case several
members in the same family so there may be a genetic component.  I have six
have had cataracts.

The majority of respondents believe it is related to coeliac disease, or,
rather, lack of absorption of the vitamins A & D due to the disease.  As I
live in subtropical Queensland and take cod liver oil daily I think this
would be a very remote possibility in my case as a cause.

Others queried damage from the sun.  This is a distinct possibility,
although I do have transition lenses in my glasses.

Everyone said it is a straightforward simple procedure carried out under
local anaesthetic.  That is my worry as I cannot have a local anaesthetic
due to a severe allergic reaction during a minor procedure several years
ago.

I now also know to query which sort of lens will be inserted, thanks to
several respondents who were very knowledgable on this subject.

Once again, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and impart their
considerable knowledge.

Regards,
Sylvia