Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:18:46 +0000

The Westchester Celiac Sprue Support Group invites you to attend our next meeting:

Sunday, March 7th
Phelps Memorial Hospital - Auditorium
Sleepy Hollow, NY

Meeting begins 2:00 pm
Vendors at 1:30 pm

"PhD Meets Julia Child"

Our March 7th program features Annalise Roberts - whose cookbooks are a perennial favorite - and her sister Claudia Pillow, PhD.  Their new book, "The Gluten-Free Good Health Cookbook" shatters the mold for diet books by combining basic science and proven medical research with a true love of food and eating.

After being diagnosed with celiac disease in 2002, Annalise Roberts devoted herself to developing gluten-free baking recipes that taste just as good, if not better than, their wheat flour counterparts.  Her recipes were featured in Gourmet magazine in November 2005, and her first book, Gluten-Free Baking Classics appeared in May 2006.  Her most recent book, Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine is a collection of recipes developed for the Zojirushi bread machine.  She works with celiac support groups and teaches gluten-free cooking and baking classes in the New York-New Jersey metropolitan area.

In 2007, Claudia Pillow received her PhD in Health Studies from Texas Women's University, but she has been studying and working with food for her entire life.  Dr. Pillow is a classically trained chef and graduate of the New York Restaurant School, and worked as a chef and caterer for many years in the New York metropolitan area.  An MBA offered her the opportunity to jump to the corporate side of the food industry, where she marketed cheese and natural beverages.  Currently she lectures about gluten intolerance and teaches gluten-free cooking and baking classes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  Dr. Pillow serves on the board of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America and is a local resource for the North Texas chapter.

The program will focus on the effect of food on the body as well as fabulous GF Food.

- How to strengthen the immune system and prevent chronic disease.

- How GF cooking can promote weight loss.

- How to replace gluten containing foods, reduce sugar intake and create balanced meals, and

- Expert baking and cooking advice for healthy eating

As a special treat, Annalise will bring "tastings" from the book.  Join us at our meeting to learn important new information about GF food choices.

In addition --

***Rory Jones, co-author of "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic"
will present a brief update on the new sections of the newly revised edition of the book.***
We will also have copies of the book available for sale.

Plan to arrive at 1:30 to shop with our vendors:

Mr. Ritts Gluten Free Bakery
www.mrritts.org

Joan's GF Great Bakes
http://gfgreatbakes.com/

Gilberts Gourmet Goodies
www.gilbertsgourmetgoodies.com/

Kettle Cuisine
http://www.kettlecuisine.com

Gotta Eat Sweets -Truffipops
http://www.gottaeatsweets.com/

Kimster Foods Gourmet Almond Butter
http://www.kimsterfoods.com/

No reservations are necessary to attend the meeting.  For further information, please contact Sue Goldstein, [log in to unmask], (914) 428-1389.

*******
*******