From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 18:13:05 -0600

I previously asked:

Now that Masterpiece says it has trace amounts of gluten, what brands are
safe?

Thanks to all who responded!  jyr
=====================

Lea & Perrins BBQ - Many people responded with this brand and said they
liked it a lot..

-----------------

Posting from Nov 17, 1999, Amber from Utah

I called the Hidden Valley Foods Company yesterday (11/16/99).  I was told
that KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce and Hidden Valley Ranch are no longer
gluten-free (they used to be).  The customer service rep that I spoke with
said they received a memo about a month ago from their food lab technicians
which said all of their products may now contain trace amounts of gluten.
It seems they are no longer purchasing corn based vineger and food starch,
rather they are using which ever kind is least expensive at production time.

Please call Hidden Valley Foods Company at 1-800-537-2823 if you have been a
consumer of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing or KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce in the
past. I would really like to be wrong about this one.

----------------------------

On a brighter note, I contacted Lea & Perrins today (11/17/99). Not only is
Lea & Perrins excellent Worcestershire sauce GF, but they also make a GF BBQ
sauce. The number for Lea & Perrins is 1-800-987-4674.

When time permits, I like to make my own BBQ sauce. Here is my own recipe:

HONEY BBQ SAUCE
2 C Del Monte (1-800-543-3090) ketchup
1/4 C honey
2 T minced fresh onion (or 1/2 T onion powder)
2 T Lea & Perrins (1-800-987-4674) worcestershire sauce
1 T pure apple cider vinegar
1 T Schilling (1-800-322-7742) chili powder
1/2 t pure mustard powder
1/2 t pure garlic powder
1 T molasses

1. Mix ingredients in small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, simmer as desired.
3. Keep covered in refrigerator. Makes 2 1/2 C (equals 1-20oz bottle)

--------------------------------

Mary Lou from Houston:

The BBQ sauce I use is Stubb's Original made in Austin, Texas. It does
have distilled vinegar and caramel coloring. But I don't worry about
those. I try to avoid the modified food starch and unidentified HVP.
The contents read: water, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, corn syrup,
molasses, salt, worcestershire sauce (distilled vinegar, water,
molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color (contains sulfites), garlic,
sugar, spices, anchovies, tamarinds, natural flavoring) mustard flour,
spices, garlic, hardwood smoke flavor, red papper, citric acid.
I discovered this at Randall's a few months back, and we've used it on
everything we BBQ that I'm going to eat. Gerry keeps others that he
prefers, and he uses those on things I'm not going to eat.

I've never contacted the company. If you want to do that - it's
distributed by Stubb's Legendary Kitchen, Inc., P.O. Box 4941, Austin,
TX, 78765, phone 512-480-0203/www.stubbsbbq.com..

I hesitate recommending products because I find I may not be as
sensitive as a lot of celiacs.

-----------------------------

Jay from MISS ROBEN'S wrote:  Mr. Spice makes a GF bbq sauce we sell that's
quite popular & good.

-----------------------------------

From Deborah, Salem, IL

I no longer use Masterpiece because of the gluten, and to date have not
found one.  I decided to use grape jelly, Heinz ketchup, and a little brown
sugar.  Easy to assemble, store in a jar, in the refrigerator.  If I want it
spicy then I just add hot sauce, peppers etc.  Hope this helps.

-------------------------

I mostly grill food on a gas grill.  I cook beef, lamb, chicken and salmon
most of the time.  I marinate all of these in individually made marinades
which typically contain some of the following ingredients:  gluten - free
soy sauce, red wine, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, mustard, ginger,
salt and pepper, fresh garlic, rosemary (from the garden).  I mix the
desired ingredients, and then put the meat into freezer bag, pour in the
marinade, seal the bag, make sure all the surfaces of the meat are covered,
then open the bag a little, squeeze the air out so the meat is entirely
coated, then refrigerate for a couple of hours.  The rest is up to the grill
and the griller.  This method is fast, healthy and gets great results every
time.

I do plan to get a real barbeque pit sometime, so I will work on a sauce at
that time.  The only commercially available sauce I have ever liked is
Woody's Cookin' Sauce.  This is a very strong (use in cooking only, not as a
topping) and tasty marinade which makes some of the best brisket I have ever
had.  I haven't checked recently to see if it is gluten free because I don't
have a pit to use it in.  I will check though and report in.

Currently if I want to do a brisket, I marinate the meat in some red wine,
salt, pepper, garlic, and a little vinegar and a little bit of orange
marmalade.  I then turn my grill on to high, and sear the meat for a couple
of minutes.  I then wrap the meat in foil , turn the flame down to low and
cut off the burners directly under where I put the meat, so the foil won't
scorch.  Then I leave it for several hours until done.  This make a very
tender brisket, and although you can't beat true smoking for flavor, this
method gets the job done.  You can do this in then oven as well, but your
house will smell like the inside of Hickory Farms for a week.

Another good use for the grill is vegetables which I also cook on a regular
basis using a special perforated sheet of metal which I lay over the grill
bars.

----------------------------

Mary, Milwaukee, WI:

Try this website for ordering the greatest BBQ sauce: www.sazsbbq.com We
have a restaurant called "Saz's BBQ" in Milwaukee, and they sell their
sauce in the stores here and on the internet. It's great. Also, they list
the vinegar as "gluten free" on the label. How often do we see that?! They
have identified the source of their modified food starch as GF ( I think
they  said it was corn ). They are very friendly, and
their restaurant is great.

I just emailed Saz's BBQ to check the source of their modified food starch.
They replied immediately that the source was corn, and that they will be
changing their bottling and labeling to state that the food starch is gluten
free. They are really looking out for us! I think their BBQ sauce is
absolutely GREAT, and that we should support this company and let them know
much we appreciate their labeling and sauce. I'm going to post this to the
list.

Linda  just mixes ketchup and Worchestershire sauce. Heavy on the ketchup.
Add sauce to taste...a little at a time.

Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs