From:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 22:24:09 -0500

Well, it was a great vacation in spite of a glitch.

We were booked to have dinner at Ruth Chris' and see the Ulalena show. When
we got to RC's, we were told the show had been bought out and our tickets
were canceled. Our reservation for RC's was 4:30pm and we got the phone call
about the cancellation at 5:55pm. I don't know who was at fault for that
glitch, but the booking was done through Expedia. Grrrrrr Our whole day had
been planned around that event and I am sorry we missed out on seeing that
show.

After we were turned away from RC's, we started wandering around Lahina
searching for something to eat and ended up at Bubba Gumps. I thought for
sure they would have fresh steamed shrimp that were GF - wrong! There were
only 2 items on the menu I could have, Ono and Opah. Both are locally caught
fish. Happy to say that the fish was really good.

Places we ate in and near Lahina:
Bubba Gumps - see above. They have a menu showing allergens including
gluten. Very few choices of GF foods.

Lulu's - open on weekends for breakfast and in the evenings during the week.
They are a sports bar. I had an excellent omelet with hash brown's. No GF
menu, but they said they said "no problem" when asked about gluten free.

Pioneer Inn - left without eating. The server said they did not know what
contains gluten.

Black Angus Steakhouse - J wanted prime rib. No GF menu but was told the
prime rib and the au jus was GF. Nothing special, but it was a nice prime
rib.

Feast at Lele - This is a luau but instead of a buffet the food is served as
a 6 course meal. I was told I could have everything but the scallops and the
steak. They prepared me a GF scallop and steak dishes so I did not feel left
out. The best part of the meal was the chicken wrapped in a taro leaf - oh
yum, that was good. The show was fun. The atmosphere was great - we were on
the beachfront.

Ma'la - Last day and wanted to eat a good meal before getting on the plane.
I checked Yelp on my iphone and this restaurant sounded pretty good. When we
got there we were told that GF would not be a problem. Had a wonderful
organic chicken dish with sauteed garlic spinach and wild rice. Dessert was
macadamia nut ice cream with caramel sauce and garnished with strawberries.
We sat outside right next to the ocean. Lovely meal.

Since we had a condo with a full size kitchen, we ate many meals at home.
The nearby Safeway had a nice selection of veges and fresh caught fish. I
rarely eat GF grains or processed foods, so I cannot tell you where to buy
GF breads, crackers, cookies, etc. Food prices are very high in Maui. One
example was the $20 watermelon from Texas my husband had to have. It was
delicious.

We packed picnic lunches for our excursions to other parts of the island.
One day was a trip to Hana and another day we traveled up to the top of
Haleakala.

If you go, be sure to take an helicopter ride - spectacular!

I am happy to say I had no gluten reactions.

We stayed at the Aston Papakea. These are 4 story condos. The grounds are
nicely kept. Sparkling pools and hot tubs, grills and putting green. There
was no restaurant.  Security is very visible. Our condo was ocean front on
the 4th floor. J was disappointed that the condo was not on the first floor,
but when we had the tsunami warning, I was glad we were on the upper floor.
Ocean front does not mean beach front. We had to walk to the far end of the
condo to get to a beach area. It was very rocky near our condo. I loved
sitting on the patio - just relaxing. The condos are air conditioned with
units in the living room. That means the bedroom at the opposite end would
get quite hot during the day. I would have opened all the windows for the
ocean breezes, but DH liked the cold of the AC in the living room.  I would
stay there again. The Papakea is a timeshare, but there was no push to go to
the timeshare meetings. There is an onsite concierge who books through
Expedia. If you go to the time share meeting you can save on some of the
bookings. AARP members get a 10% discount.

One week in Maui is only time enough to figure out where to go and how
things work. Two weeks would have been nicer.

Anne