From:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:56:46 -0500

I agree - white corn tortillas make wonderful "melted sandwiches".

We make classic tuna melts, ham and cheese melts, or Ruebens (using Boar's Head deli and sauerkraut) with tortillas. I use a touch of olive oil in a non-stick pan to grill the sandwiches.

We also got a rice cooker (a Panasonic), and making a meal couldn't be easier. We flavor Lundberg long grain brown rice with Pacific broths and McCormick herbs. When done, add cooked chicken or salmon, sauteed veggies, crumbled feta cheese (or Parmesan), toasted pine nuts...and you have a simple yet satisfying meal.

Crustless quiches are also easy and delicious -
Layer sliced cooked potato on the bottom of a buttered pie plate, layer 1 cup grated cheese (I like Gruyere), bits of cooked ham or bacon, chopped brocolli or cooked onion, and seasonings/herbs, add egg and cream mixture (4 to 5 eggs with 3/4 cup Half & Half or light cream), and bake at 375 degrees until puffy and set - about 30 minutes, depending upon your oven. Serve with a green salad.

I have to say, after two years gluten-free, we don't miss bread, or pizza. We use GF pasta rarely. Our carb staples are rice, potatoes (baked potatoes make wonderful beds for all kinds of toppings - sauteed chicken and veggies, Hebrew National franks & baked beans, Applegate Farms sausages with peppers, onions and grated cheese), and polenta (polenta 'lasagna', and Southwestern-style - topped with black beans, salsa mixed with tomato sauce, grated cheese, olives, green chiles) are hearty baked dishes for the winter.

I also make lots of homemade soups and stews, and roast vegetables of all kinds (in olive oil and balsamic vinegar or apple cider) for simple suppers (a plate of assorted roasted veggies with hummus and a scoop of seasoned brown rice).

And Shepard's pie is always a family favorite:
I use leftover meatloaf (I make a large meatloaf with 1 lb. Colman beef and 1 lb. Perdue ground turkey, finely chopped onion, some GF Pantry rice crumbs, an egg, dash Lea & Perrins, and Mothers Mountain Catsup, Italian Herbs) and top the pie with mashed potatoes:: I make a gravy with about 10 to 12 oz. Pacific beef broth thickened with a spoon of arrowroot starch, seasoned with herbs and a dash of sherry, then add the crumbled meatloaf, sliced cooked carrots, and baby peas; pour this mixture into a shallow casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Karri Ann