From:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenda Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:56:21 -0400

I have heard that there is a Phillipino lumpia wrapper out there that
is made of cornstarch, but I have not found it online yet. I will keep
searching! I did find this recipe which could easily be adapted by using
GF flour instead of all purpose flour. Note that half is cornstarch-a
promising sign! I have not tried this recipe, I just found it on-line.
Alternately, you might be able to use a rice paper, maybe cut smaller?

Good luck!

FRESH LUMPIA

1/2 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. water
Butter for frying

Combine cornstarch, flour, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add eggs and
water, mix well until smooth.
Heat a 6-inch skillet and butter very lightly. Spoon in a very thin
layer of batter, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on one
side only until done. Turn onto waxed paper. Repeat until batter is
used, stacking wrappers between squares of waxed paper. Set aside.

Yield: Wrappers for 6-8 servings

FRESH LUMPIA FILLING:

1/2 lb. ground pork
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb. raw shrimp
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 med. potatoes
1 c. grated carrot
1/2 c. cooked garbanzos
1 c. bean sprouts
1 c. shredded cabbage
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. water
Lettuce leaves

Shell, devein, and chop shrimp. Peel potatoes and cut into narrow
strips. Disperse cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water.
In a skillet, brown pork. Add garlic, then onion and shrimp. Saute and
season with salt and pepper. Add potatoes, garbanzos, and carrots. Cover
and cook until tender. Stir in bean sprouts and cabbage. Add soy sauce
and cornstarch- water mixture; mix well and cook for 5 minutes.

Cool filling mixture and spoon a tablespoon in lumpia wrapper. Repeat
with remaining filling and wrappers. Serve with Fresh Lumpia Sauce or
Garlic Sauce. NOTE: Canned hearts of palm or canned water chestnuts cut
into thin strips can be added. Originally just fresh hearts of palm was
used instead of potatoes and carrots used for this recipe.

Yield: 6-8 servings

FRESH LUMPIA SAUCE:

1/4 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 tsp. ground garlic
1 c. meat broth

Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in soy sauce and
garlic. Add broth and mix well. Cook over medium heat until mixture
thickens. Serve over Fresh Lumpia.

http://www.goldencountry.com/search.aspx?phr=lumpia
Oops! I meant Filipino! You can try this site, they might have some more
offerings. Try Thailand, China, etc.