From:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Hanisco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:07:16 -0400

 Here are more excerpts:

"I notice that my muscles are more relaxed than they have ever been in my
life.  If I get contaminated, one of the first symptoms will be a tightness
and rigidity in my neck and shoulders, and all the way down my spine.  I'd
never been at all limber, and all the stretching in the world seemed to make
no difference, but now I can stretch my muscles and actually limber up.  My
posture has changed as a result, too. We (my daughter and I, and also my
husband) noticed that we lost inches, especially around the middle, too,
though we didn't lose much in weight initially.  (Now we've lost more
weight, too.)"

"My fingernails have always been a problem but this last couple years as
long as I take Shaklee B Complex vitamins and gelatin tablets they are much
better"

"Now that you mention it...I've had a rather grey complexion most of my
adult life (I'm 61). I now have color back. I guess it was from going GF. I
haven't had any other changes you mentioned, however."

"Most noted was my fingernails.  They were constantly peeling.  This has
stopped. ..... I had horrid dry scaly skin, my legs would become like fish
scales in the winter, I don't have that problem anymore, and of course the
rashes that would come and go and be in different places, and happening
since birth has gone with the wind and for good.  Yea!! I did notice that
whole body change, rearranging things a few years back.  I never did grow
that other 2 inches I longed for in school, so I'd be 5'6". Can't have
everything."

"I experienced the same changes as you plus: My voice is nicer and I can
sing better. My baby toe which had practically no nail has grown an
appropriate sized nail. This condition of underdeveloped toenails has a
name. I think I found it in the book Dangerous Grains. I am more muscular
and my husband said that I am looking younger all the time! Yay!"

"You're certainly right about getting better nutrition making changes like
you say in hair and skin and such.  My nutritionist has promised that I will
become lean and muscular on the GF diet.  I have yet to see the results you
describe and I've been on the diet for about 2 1/2 months, but am still
hopeful over time!"

"It's amazing what the body can do when it's getting all the nutrients it
needs for growth & to make the full complement of hormones. I've found that
taking cod liver oil daily has helped w/ the ridges in my fingernails & also
made them stronger.  When I quit takes it for a few days, I'll end up w/
little ridges that are evident when they grow out."

"Before I was diagnosed (5 years ago), I was anemic, bruised easily, hair
was falling out, finger nails were breaking and chipping - a problem I'd
never had before, had constant diarrhea and lost 40 pounds.  I was also very
fatigued and my intestines felt like they were being constantly squeezed.
All these problems have resolved on the gluten-free diet, but it did take
longer to resolve some problems than others."

"Amen!!  I saw changes just like you did.  Stay with it!"

"I have also noticed a lot of changes in my hair and nails as well as the
rest of my body. Although I had bowel problems for about six months before
getting dx'd I didn't lose a lot of weight like some people but I did seem
to get flabby as if I was losing muscle tone. I am working on that now by
walking on my treadmill more, etc.

It is amazing what malabsorption problems can do to our bodies."

"Yes, there were lots of "side benefits" like that for me and for the
kids...stuff I never expected!  I'd been exercising for years and all of a
sudden I was able to develop muscle like I'd never had and felt truly strong
for the first time.  My nails got strong and long, face cleared up, hair
grew in thicker (and wavy), and many other changes.  The only hard thing now
is that if I get contaminated I really get set back in these areas."

"The big plus when I went gf was my joints no longer hurt.  That took about
1-2 weeks.  Then within a few months my gums grew!  They had been receding
for as long as I could remember.  Eventually I noticed that I could breath
easier through my nose. Probably my sinuses were no longer swollen."

"My sense of smell is amazing now! I've lost weight everywhere except the
bust, but I have a good deal of muscle wastage, which is only begining to
correct itself now after 9 months g/f. Most of my joint, bone and muscle
pain and my intergestion have disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared
last year (and when they do reoccur, they're not as severe). I'm still very
thirsty all the time. I still tire very easily and need more sleep than I
used to, but I don't feel absolutely exhausted much. My hair continues to
fall out, but it has become very shiny, although my nails have gone from bad
to worse."