Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 15:08:28 -0600

Hi to you all!
        I am very excited to share a recipe with you that I have been
working on for a few months.  My family has enjoyed the glutenous version
of these Pumpkin Rolls for years (New England Yeast Rolls).  It has always
been a highlight of the Thanksgiving meal.  It's one of those recipes you
double one year and triple the next.  I decided I wasn't going to go
without for one more year.  I've been learning alot about gluten free
baking over the past two years (I'm on medical leave from teaching so I
have TIME).  I decided to put my new skills to the test with this old
Pumpkin Roll recipe.  After several experimental batches I feel I have come
up with a winner!  It only takes about one hour from start to finish.
ENJOY!!!

Pumpkin Rolls - Gluten Free
(New England Yeast Rolls)

Mix the following dry ingredients together in the large mixing bowl of a
heavy duty mixer.  I let this mix on "stir" while I am preparing the rest
of the ingredients.
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup bean flour
1 cup tapioca starch flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. cloves
3 tsp. zanthan gum
2 Tbls. egg white powder
2/3 cup noninstant dry milk powder
2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 tsp. egg replacer

Mix and set aside:
1/4 cup melted margerine
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Mix and let sit until it begins to get foamy:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbls. quick rise dry yeast
2 Tbls. sugar

        Add the yeast mixture, pumpkin mixture and 1 tsp. vinegar to the
dry ingredients.  Mix all of this on "stir" until slightly mixed.  Stop
mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Beat on high for 3-4 minutes.
Dough should look like a smooth, thick frosting.
        While this is beating spray muffin tins with a non-stick cooking
spray.  (I get anywhere from 18 - 24 rolls depending on the size of the
muffins.)
        Divide the dough evenly into tins, filling each tin about 1/2 full.
Smooth out the dough with a spoon that is dipped in water to prevent the
spoon from sticking to the dough.
        Let dough rise until doubled in bulk, 20-30 minutes.  Preheat oven
to 350 degrees while dough is rising.
        Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from
pans to cool on a wire rack.

also available at [log in to unmask]