From:
"C. Burgess" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:19:12 +0000

I received this message from Jill of North Carolina, that I thought I
should pass on as a warning.

"Too much B6 can cause irreversible peripheral nerve damage.  I have
had tons of neurodiagnostic tests because my nero symptoms have not
gone away in two years GF.  Each time I see a neurologist at Univ. of
NC-Chapel Hill they ask to see my vitamin bottles.  I take Freeda
Ultravites which lists the toal amount for 3 tablets daily, not per
tablet.  For 3 tablets the total shows 50mg B6.  They all totally wig
out and almost scream that that is too much B6.  I have to calm them
down and point out that I only take on and occ. 2 tabs daily.  They
see more b6 toxicity and peripheral nerve damage than deficiencies.
        On the other hand, I have chronic thiamine (B1) deficiency which
does cause "brain fog" as well as peripheral lesions.
        Hope this helps;  I think we need to caution list members to not
take megadoses of B6 for depression without getting blood levels
first."

As a postsscript to this, I should mention that the sublingual B
vitamin that I mentioned in my post on B6 research just has 2 mg. of
B6 per dosage, so its not likely to be excessive.  My husband's
doctor recommended a capsule supplement which was 200mg. daily, and
the reason for the larger dose was that he felt that because of the
malabsorption problem he needed larger doses in order to make sure
that he really got something out of it.

Cordially,
Cyndee Burgess
Reserve, New Mexico