From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:39:57 +0100

I have been surprised by the number of problems there seem
to be with vinegar.  We almost always use wine vinegar, as
this is GF.  If it's too expensive for you, make your own
(this is supposed to be easy if you can get the "wine
mother" starter culture - I haven't managed to do so yet)

I must say that I anticipate that the actual amounts of
gluten/gliadin which get into what is known in this country
as "non-brewed condiment" (distilled vinegar) are actually
so small as to be well below trigger levels but we are
"foodies" and prefer the good life!  My wife, who is
actually a fairly sensitive and fast reacting coeliac does
not respond to good scotch whisky either!  (Frankly, even
if she did that would be unlikely to stop her!).

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Safety Officer
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209