From:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:50:58 +1000

Dear List members,
I have been asked to summarise the responses I received.It has taken a while
for me to work out the way to do this. I have not identified any members by
name because of possible sensitivity.

As I said before I really appreciate the generous response, particularly as
I now believe my daughter realises that the importance of confirming whether
she is coeliac or not, and of solving any other problems before she attempts
another pregnancy. She is currently waiting the results of a whole range of
other blood tests.

Six people wrote of miscarriage basically being a natural thing to stop a
pregnancy when the foetus will not survive due to poor nutrition.  Since
untreated coeliacs are unable to absorb nutrients they tend to be deficient
in certain vitamins & minerals and have low iron counts in particular.
Two (including a doctor) said coeliacs often have hormone imbalances and low
progesterone can cause a miscarriage.     Two mentioned antiphospholipid
antibody syndrome, one mentioned cadiolipin antibodies.

Advice was to confirm whether coeliac or not, if positive, be gluten free
for 6-12 months, and in any case wait and allow body to completely recover
before attempting another pregnancy.

The following shared experiences were either personal or that of a family
member.

Four told of inability or difficulty to conceive prior to diagnosis and gf
diet.    One had a miscarriage prior to diagnosis and as yet has been unable
to conceive again.   Two told of inability to conceive, then being too old
to conceive by the time they were diagnosed.   Two more spoke of a
difficulty in conceiving but did not state whether it was prior to
diagnosis.      17 told of multiple miscarriages prior to diagnosis and gf
diet. One had two stillbirths and one miscarriage. One had a stillbirth.
Two had healthy
babies in between miscarriages but suffered health problems after pregnancy.
Two surprisingly, were in better health during the pregnancy, with coeliac
symptoms going into remission in one case.

A paediatrician at the Coeliac Disease Foundation 1999 (California) spoke of
the connection.    Two mentioned articles to be found on Medline.
One quoted Dr. Joseph Murray, University of Iowa (now at the Mayo Clinic),
speaking at the 1994 American Celiac Society Conference, held on June 10-11,
1994.

One quoted Dr Alessio Fasano, one of the world's top researchers into
Coeliac, stating that non-compliant coeliacs have a higher miscarriage rate
than compliant coeliacs.

The following web-sites were given for further information:
http://www.celiaccenter.org/ (Dr Fasano's web site)
http://gastroenterology.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2000/03/03/09/ep0309d.html
http://www.surreyweb.net/foresight/papers.html ( for nutrition & pregnancy
in general)
www.celiac.com. For "Widening Spectrum of Clinical Nutrition 1999" 69
;354-65

The following references were given for further information, with abstracts
and outlines.

1. Caramaschi P, Biasi D, Carletto A, Randon M, Pacor ML, Bambara LM.
[Celiac disease and abortion: focusing on a possible relationship].
Recenti Prog Med. 2000 Feb;91(2):72-5. Italian.

2.  Martinelli P, Troncone R, Paparo F, Torre P, Trapanese E, Fasano
C,Lamberti A, Budillon G, Nardone G, Greco L.
Coeliac disease and unfavourable outcome of pregnancy.
Gut. 2000 Mar;46(3):332-5.

3.  Meloni GF, Dessole S, Vargiu N, Tomasi PA, Musumeci S.
The prevalence of coeliac disease in infertility.
Hum Reprod. 1999 Nov;14(11):2759-61.

4.  De Sandre G, Caramaschi P.
Untreated celiac disease with bad outcome of three pregnancies followed by a
fourth normal pregnancy after two years of gluten-free diet.Am J
Gastroenterol. 1996 Dec;91(12):2653.

5.   Sher KS, Mayberry JF.
Female fertility, obstetric and gynaecological history in coeliac disease: a
case control study.Acta Paediatr Suppl. 1996 May;412:76-7.

6. Ciacci C, Cirillo M, Auriemma G, Di Dato G, Sabbatini F, Mazzacca G.
Celiac disease and pregnancy outcome.
Am J Gastroenterol. 1996 Apr;91(4):718-22.

7.  Smecuol E, Maurino E, Vazquez H, Pedreira S, Niveloni S, Mazure R,Boerr
L, Bai JC.
Gynaecological and obstetric disorders in coeliac disease: frequent
clinical onset during pregnancy or the puerperium.
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1996 Jan;8(1):63-89.

8.  Sher KS, Mayberry JF.

9.  Molteni N, Bardella MT, Bianchi PA.
Obstetric and gynecological problems in women with untreated celiac sprue.
J Clin Gastroenterol. 1990 Feb;12(1):37-9.PMID: 2303686; UI: 90154694

10.  Ferguson R, Holmes GK, Cooke WT.
Coeliac disease, fertility, and pregnancy.
Scand J Gastroenterol. 1982 Jan;17(1):65-8.

11.  Joske RA, Martin JD.
Coeliac disease presenting as recurrent abortion.
J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1971 Aug;78(8):754-8.

12.  Dig Dis 1994-May-Jun; Vol:12 (Part:3) Pg:186-90
Sher KS, et. al.
Infertility, obstetric and gynaecological problems in coeliac sprue.

13.    Female fertility, obstetric and gynaecological history in coeliac
disease. A case control study.
Author  Sher KS; Mayberry JF
Address     Gastroenterology Research Unit, Leicester General Hospital,
UK.Source Digestion, 55: 4, 1994, 243-6

14.      Two papers from the Celiac Support Group,  Ohio Miami Valley Area
on Obstetric and Gynaecological problems in women with untreated Coeliac
Sprue and  Celiac Disease and Reproduction.

The abstracts from, and outlines of, the reference material were very
informative.

I am happy to forward these to those who would like them. They are too
detailed for a general list summary.

Once again many thanks for your generous responses and good wishes, and I
trust I will be able to report the birth of another healthy grandchild one
day.

Margaret