Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:21:45 -0400

I just wrote the note below to the Today Show addressing the cost of
Celiac Disease.  I think this is a very important issue that will
stimulate interest in Celiac Disease with our Representatives of
Congress and our Senators.  While contacting these people, please
address this issue as well as the food labeling issue.  Here is my note:

I understand that you will be presenting a program tomorrow regarding
Celiac Disease.  This is a special consideration of mine, and I
appreciate you addressing this issue.  I believe that it needs more
public exposure.

I would like to see you address the cost of Celiac Disease to society as
a whole, not only in the terms of human suffering, but also in dollars
and cents.  I had spent many years going to various doctors and taking
multiple medications that did not help me, but sometimes did relieve
some of my symptoms.  I am now much healthier without all the
medications and I am able to control my condition with a healthy diet.
If people can be diagnosed earlier in their illnesses, the multiple
doctor visits and money spent on medication can be eliminated, thus
saving a vast amount of money to insurance carriers, Medicare and
Medicaid.   If only one in 4,000 people with Celiac Disease in this
country are diagnosed, and an estimated one in 133 actually have Celiac
Disease, there should be enough cost savings involved to be able to make
Medicare and Medicaid solvent as well as offset the cost of prescription
drugs for seniors.

Thank you.