From:
elizabeth j powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:53:53 -0700

I was quite delightfully surprised at the amount of responses to my
prenatal supplement question! I received over 30 responses, which
suggests to me that finding gluten free vitamins has been an ongoing
issue for a lot of us.

By far, though, the majority of responses suggested Twin Labs Pre-Natal
Multivitamin and Mineral Formula, which ironically enough I purchased
over the weekend prior to reading any postings.  They are in capsule
form, which means that there simply are no coatings to worry about, and
also, they're easier to swallow.  I went into a store called the Good
Earth, and I would highly recommend it.  The fellow there, while not
knowledgeable about celiac specifically, was very vitamin-savvy, knew all
about binders and fillers, and once I mentioned the word gluten he
instantly recognized it and commented that a LOT of poeple have problems
with it, perhaps not an intolerance like we do, but allergies and the
like. He mentioned that the Good Earth line itself doesn't use any
binders or fillers, but recommended the Twin Labs, stating that they are
very good for people with food senstivities.

The label on the vitamins reads: well tolerated by highly allergic
individuals. No tablet binders, coatings, or colorings.  Free of common
allergens suuch as fish oils, hweat, yeast, barley, rice, lactose, (milk
sugar) milk and egg products.  No added sugars, sodium, artificial colors
or flavors, sweetners or preservatives.

I have been taking 4 capsules daily, as recommended, and not only has all
symptoms such as  bloating etc disappeared, but as it meets the iron and
folic acid requirements my doctor specified to me due to problems
processing iron, i went off the other supplements and the "other" problem
has disappeared as well.  The iron Twin Labs uses is specially coated for
easy digestion, and I've had no sonstipation since.

However, I know it probably will return in the next several months, and
though i had a lot of wonderful recommendations concerning this little
"problem", one lady suggested i try a tea from Traditional Medicines
called Smooth Move.  She says it's gluten free and it works for periodic
constipation.  Another recommendation i had was from Twin Labs again, a
product called Allerdophilus.  I've had so much luck with the prenates I
think that if the constipation does become a real problem i'll give that
a try first.

Other suggestions given to me were Stokes vitamins, Freeda vitamins, both
either mail order or available on the east coast, and both gf.

But after being on the Twin Labs for this week I'm amazed at the energy I
now possess, and how well it's assisting my body in dealing with any
gluten i have accidently ingested.  It's amazing what happens when the
machine is running smoothly:)

regards,

Elizabeth J. Powell