From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:55:13 -0700

Dear all,

  My husband has been yearning for some good ol' English Muffins, the kind with the nooks and crannies!
  Using the ingredients listed on a package of the "Foods By George" English Muffins, I tried to make my own gluten free English Muffins at home. They came out similar to some of the other commercially available gluten free English Muffins, that is to say crisp on the outside but a bit sticky on the inside. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to make them fluffier and less sticky. I would love some feedback from some of you bakers out there in gluten free land!

  Here is the recipe I used:

  English Muffins
  Recipe developed by Ellen Allard

  1 tbsp. yeast
  1 tsp. sugar
  1 ¼ cup warm water
  2 cups white rice flour
  2/3 cup potato starch
  1/3 cup tapioca starch
  1 tsp. xanthan gum
  ½ tsp. salt
  1 tbsp sugar + 2 tsp. sugar
  3 egg whites
  4 tbsp. canola oil

  Proof the yeast with the sugar and warm water.

  Mix the white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt.

  Combine the 1 tbsp + 2 tsp sugar, egg whites, and canola oil. Add yeast mixture. Beat to mix. Add half of the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Add rest of the flour mixture and beat three minutes.

  Spoon into English Muffin rings sprayed with oil spray and let rise about 45 – 60 minutes for regular yeast and 25 – 35 minutes for quick rise yeast. Bake 375 degrees for 20 – 22 minutes.

Regards, Ellen
  http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/
  http://www.peterandellen.com