From:
The Cossalters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:43:15 +1000

A great big thank you to all those who took time to answer my query,
there were many of you.   Thanks also for sharing your experiences and
personal family details (and also for your encouraging words and
support).

I'd love to be able to summarise your replies, but the only thing that
is clear is that nothing is clear!!!, and no two cases or families are
the same.   The incidence ranges from being the only case of CD in the
extended family (like me) to some families where just about every member
is coeliac/celiac - and anywhere and everywhere in between.    Quite a
few people felt there were more many more family members with
undiagnosed CD.

The responses regarding twins were more uniform and tended indicate that
an identical twin of a coeliac will almost always be a coeliac at some
point in their life.  There were, however, exceptions to this also.
The rate among non-identical twins was not as high, mostly quoted around
70-75%.

I must stress that this is a random response from list members.  It was
never my intention to query or dispute valid statistics, I was just
looking for the experiences directly from people who live with the
condition themselves, or who live with it through someone close to them.

The amount of information available is pretty overwhelming at first when
you're still finding your way, and in my quest for knowledge I had read
so many varied statistics.   Now I think understand why.

My query was my first posting to the list, so I'm new at this too.   I
guess this message doesn't really constitute a summary, but several
people said they looked forward to reading the summary, so this is it
folks, and I'll have to leave statistics to the statisticians.

Sorry if you were hoping I could tell you more.

Take care,
Jean