From:
Charles Oldenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:22:12 EDT

A few comments about airline food.  While I highly support the idea of getting
airlines and restaurants to pay attention to all people who have needs -
special and ordinary - I'm not sure it is worth while to fight the battle with
airlines.  Airline food is barely edible at best.

Even if it were gluten free I wouldn't want to eat it.  It is hardly adequate
in quantity, it tastes bad, it isn't freshly prepared, it doesn't arrive when
you need it, it is too salty and too fat, etc. etc. Have you ever gotten a hot
lettuce and tomato salad?

I traveled in the past with small children, and there is no need to talk about
the complication of "gluten free."  The kids needed food they were used to
(and would eat) when they needed it.  I took my own when there was any
possibility of doubt, which was usually.

I think that even if the airlines learn what "gluten free" means and are able
to provide such, the stuff still wouldn't be worth much.

If you want to fight for your rights, ok.  But all airline passengers could
rightfully fight the same battle.  So far, the passengers aren't winning.  I
would rather fight on a different battlefield - the FDA, for honest, complete
and accurate food labeling which we can trust. Christina Oldenburg