Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:57:30 -0800

Newsweek just ran two pages under the title, "Prescriptive Pallette." They
explain some of the current research being done on strongly colored foods
and the effectiveness of the color in them as remedies.

As celiacs we miss a lot of the vitamin B6 found in whole grains and nuts,
as well as fish and white meats. By pooling the ten good studies done on
it, taking a safe dose of 50 mg of B6 once or twice a day relieves overall
premenstrual and depressive symptoms, bloating, depression and anxiety in
women (who else :) (I might inject here that taking too much b6 can cause
nerve damage.) I wonder if it might not be a good idea for celiacs, who
tend to be deficient in b6, to take it also.

According to Dr. Muraleedharan Nair at Michigan State U., the anthocyanins
in a glass of tart cherry juice a day gives 10 times the anti-inflammatory
relief of an aspirin, without irritating the stomach. It is supposed to be
very good for arthritis.

Also a glass of orange juice per day raised the HDL (good cholesterol) by
21 percent in a group with cholesterol levels above 200.

-vance

I'm always torn between two dichotomies:
I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

But also!

Heart Attacks? are they God's Revenge For Eating His Animal Friends.

Just jokes. Don't write me your arguments for either please.