From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 13:18:38 -0800

Hi

Many great suggestions, one from Michael Jones, one of the list owners.
(God bless the list owners!)  Several mentioned this article:
 http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/emerg.html

EnerG bread was mentioned because of its long shelf life!

One great idea:  AlpineAire Foods come in containers that are foil lined
and somehow you just pull a string and they heat themselves!
www.alpineairefoods.com   We can buy these in the Seattle area from REI
and they can probably be found at other outdoor (camping) type stores as
well as from the website.  Natch, check ingredients.

Several suggested metal or plastic containers or garbage can filled with
emergency supplies.  Some are so organized that they have tents, blankets,
stoves, etc., and are totally self contained!

One thing that is indespensible to me is a box of gf food that is always in
my car.  I often dip into this box when I'm running errands around lunch
time or if we are at friends and they have sabotaged dinner!  When it's
*oops, we didn't know about soy sauce (or whatever)* I go to my car box and
pull out a can of salmon and asparagus and I have dinner!

My car box contains cans of smoked salmon, kipper snacks, sardines, chicken,
nuts, asparagus spears, S&W Dilled green beans, individual packets of
condiments, salt, pepper, salad dressing... along with containers of gf soy
sauce and rice crackers.  And I always have an apple or two in the car along
with Bon Bell mini individual wax wrapped cheeses.  Rotate the latter two
items often.  The box also contains plastic forks, a sharp knife in a
sheath, can opener, napkins, wet naps....

Several others have a car box of gf food.  Fill it with what suits your
fancy.

Thanks for all the tips.

Diane