From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 17:14:36 PDT

Comments from Don Kasarda (Albany, CA) on the recent post by Dr. Horvath.

The work from Prof. Auricchio's laboratory (Troncone et al.) in Naples is
certainly of interest and I shall look forward to seeing the details, but I
will just point out for the sake of balance that studies with patients who
ingest, or have instilled into their intestines, the substance to be tested
represent the "gold standard" and in vitro testing (that is, in glass, or in
the test-tube), while valuable, does not carry as much weight.  The results
from the Finnish group and from Dr. Feighery's group (not yet published),
Dublin, Ireland, are very impressive.  The results based on in vitro testing
would have to be truly exceptional to undermine the excellent work that has
been done on the safety of oats.  So, we shall have to wait and see, but I
doubt there is reason to be overly concerned just yet.