From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:24:31 +0000

This from the September 1,'97 INTERNAL MEDICINE NEWS (a physician trade
journal).

"More Celiac Disease in Type I Diabetics, Relatives"

First degree relatives of people with type I diabetes are three times
more likely to develop celiac disease than the general population. Dr.
Marion Rewers reported at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes
Association. Celiac disease affects approximately 0.02-0.15% of the
general population & 2-5% of type I diabetics.
Diabetic patients and their first degree relatives might benefit from
screening for endomysial IgA autoantibodies.( Dr. Marion Rewers- dept of
preventative medicine & pediatrics at the University of Colorado School
of medicine, Denver).

IgA antibodies were positive in 5.4% of 612 patients w/ Type I diabetes
(aged 1-45 years), in 2.3% of 577 of their first degree-relatives.

Screening for EMA could be done at 2 year intervals, if the test results
remain negative.

Fran
dx sprue 4/96   dx Type II, diabetes 1/97
Changes.... lots of changes
--

mailto:[log in to unmask]

*Everything changes-but change*