From:
Sandy Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:15:36 EST

Many thanks to everyone who suggested restaurants and  grocery stores in
Escondido/San Diego.  We’ve just returned from a wonderful first visit to
California!  First the suggestions, followed by  dining experiences:
LaFarfalla, bakery in  Escondido  (Orange St.) – several  recommendations
Pickupstix Center City  Pkwy)
Sprout’s in San  Marcos in the Grand Ave Shopping complex for GF products.
Pei Wei at the same location has a g.f. menu
Frasier Farms in Vista – nice  collection of g.f. foods
Boston’s  Gourmet Piza on El Carmino Real, in Encinatas
Stella Lucy Gluten Free Market, 108 S. El Camino Real,  San Clemente
In ‘n Out Burger  “will make a g.f. burger for you, wrapped in lettuce.
Henry’s Farmers Market
Jimbo’s
Of the above, we tried PickupStix - only had a couple of items  that were
gluten free, according to the list I was shown. I had the pad thai,  which
was pretty good for a semi-fast food place.
La Farfalla  for lunch.  Almost everything on the  menu can be made g.f.,
including pasta dishes.  I had a wonderful turkey/cheese paninni  (they use
Boar’s Head meats) and curried cauliflower soup. I wanted to buy a  loaf of
bread but they weren’t sure that they had enough to let me do that.
Eventually, I bought half a loaf for $5  as well as a slice of the apple pie and
carrot cake with frosting for later. The  place is small and service was
extremely slow.  I’d recommend getting there very early  for lunch and order bread
ahead of time if you want to take some with you. I had  brought a toaster
bag on the trip and it was nice to be able to toast the bread  for breakfast.
Henry’s Farmers  Market is a great store where I found several items that I
haven’t seen in  my area. Next time I see a Henry’s anywhere, I’ll go
there to shop  first.
At LaJolla, we splurged at the Crab Catcher overlooking  the cove. I
settled on halibut with a mashed sweet potato/plaintain mixture and  salad -
delicious, but skimpy (the portion, not the price!)
In San Diego,  near Coronado, we had lunch at the  Fish Place next to a
Thai  restaurant (owned by the same people).  I tried to get the server to read
my Thai G.F. dining card, or at least  show it to the chef, but she was
resistant to the idea and insisted that they  could tell me what was g.f.  I
settled for fish tacos and salad, and interesting Mexican-Thai mix of
flavors!
We had dinner with relatives at Apollonia Bistro  (Greek).  They don’t have
a g.f.  menu but did bring me a “cheat sheet” that lists the items
containing not only  gluten, but other allergens too.  I  was given an individual
bowl of humus with celery and carrots and had taken some  of the LaFarfalla
bread along to replace the pita. I also ate grape leaves and  the Cretian
Salmon with spinach and mashed potatoes.
At Montery Bay  Canner’s at Oceanside, I had a wonderful Manhattan Clam
Chowder and seafood  salad - very substantial and reasonably priced.
Other than the above, prepared our own meals or I ate  salads.
My only problem during this trip occurred on the way home  when I shared
some of my daughter’s steamed vegetables from the Manchu Wok at  Dallas
airport.  There must have been some soy sauce on  them because I reacted very
quickly and consequently spent a very uncomfortable  few hours on the last leg
of the trip back to  Richmond.
Thanks again for all the tips.  Hopefully, we’ll be able to return to
beautiful Southern California and try some more of the  places suggested.
Sandy