From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:27:31 -0400

Thank you to everyone for the responses..there were many!

This was my message-
Hi-Does anyone have experience with the PC and/or Palm gf food databases
from the Clan Thompson. The subscription service seems a bit pricey though
I'm sure they put a lot of work into it.

There were some more positive responses that I inadvertently deleted. It
seems that some find it easier to basically do it themselves and others
really find it convenient. There were comments that the Clan Thompson folks
are responsive to changes and provide upgrades with substantial numbers of
items regularly.

I did decide to buy the Palm version and have found it hard to search so far
but I am going to work with it a bit more. It does seem handy to me to have
it with you at all times.

Thank you again to everyone who responded who I didn't get back to
personally.

-Michael

Reponses in particular order--

>>I have the clan thompson database for my palm - my husband got me a palm
pilot for my birthday because he was tired of me lugging a looseleaf
binder to the grocery store, or forgetting to lug it to the grocery
store. I purchased the subscription, and yes it is costly, but I feel it
is worth it. They do all the work! I have a Word document on my computer
that I have additional items listed (like regional type stuff). But, the
clan thompson is definitely the easiest way to go, and my palm pilot is
always in my purse! I highly recommend it!

>>Personally I thought it was a huge waste of my money and wish I had not
bought it! Go to the delphi board and just clip and aste their stuff to your
palm, it has as much info as the Clan database.

>>I got it when my husband was first diagnosed two years ago and haven't
looked at it since. This List Serv is much better and more up to date.
Plus, the information changes so frequently, you're better off just
reading labels!

>>I have it on my PC, and it is really hard to work with. If you search by
restaurant, you get place, detail, and 1 item of gf food at a time instead
of just a list you can use. Same problem if you look by brand name. Delphi
Forums has an easier list, but I don't know if you can download it. I
usually go to an eatery with a list of gf foods. I know I disagree with the
Delphi Forums list for Applebee's, and Clan Thompson does not list them.

>>I have both their PC and Palm food databases, but not the drug
databases, and yes, they are pretty expensive relative to what you
get for them. I bought them when I was first diagnosed and was
frantically looking for any info I could get my hands on. I'm not
saying they are worthless (there have been plenty of times when the
Palm database came in handy while at the supermarket) but they are
not cheap. I subscribed to 1 year with all the additions and updates,
so maybe it will get better as time goes on.

>>I've found that their database has a lot of products (over 3200 at the
moment) but still does not include everything. There really is so much
that is available. But it's handy to have in the Palm when you're at the
market or at someone's home for dinner (as I was just this evening and I
was able to look up a BBQ sauce). It's pricey because it's not exactly a
"mass-market" thing and they have definitely put a lot of work into it.

>>It was a little work but...I created my own database for my Palm; as have
several others. That way, I have products that interest ME and are available

in MY area. Since you can do all of it on the computer and then sync it into

your Palm it's easy. I did look at their categories and divided mine
somewhat into the same as theirs. I've changed it over time, fine tuning it
to fit my needs. Then, as I read my email, I will just open up the Palm
Desktop and copy/paste into the category. Good Luck, I have to say, I've
used it many times at the grocery store, friends' houses, even the dr.
office to check on medications.
(I did ask this person if they would share, so we will see....)

>>I have been using the GF drug and food database for
about 3 months and have found them to be moderately
helpful.  Mostly, I would like the food db to be more
comprehensive.
Both products seem expensive to me, also.