From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:18:57 EST

In a summary posting by Robin on gf turkey and Passover, Robin included (no
offense to Robin, who was just summarizing,):
"Many pointed out that Pesach (Passover) is the best time to be on a GF diet
since wheat and its derivatives are forbidden,....."

That is not true the way it is stated!  And I'm really concerned that if
"many" are still stating it this way, then they are being dangerously
misleading,.....and people are going to get sick.

Wheat is allowed as long as it is in the form of Kosher for Passover matzo,
or products made from it.. matzo meal, cake meal or farfel. You'll find these
products in many, if not most, prepared Passover foods, but the label has to
say so.

You can only be sure that a Passover product is wheat free if the ingredients
do NOT list the above or the label actually say the words, "No gebrochts."

The exciting message about Passover should be that:

1. Clear ingredients labels are required for Passover foods...which make it
easier for us determine if something does or does not have wheat in it. There
are no hidden ingredients, nor should there be a danger of accidental
contamination. We know what's in the product.

2. There are baked goods, prepared mixes, sauces, etc., that are wheat-free,
that are available only for Passover. (Mostly, I buy cookies and cakes and
freeze them.)

Linda Goldkrantz