Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:32:39 EST

The following email came from Linda in SEattle.   Rather than break it up and
use it, I sent it in total.
Thanks all you fine people out there in computer land who responed with your
kind help.   Kathleen

I'm sending along an older email I sent in this regard, but the short
answer is to use Vance's DariFree, which is a GF CF potato-based milk
(www.vancesfoods.com) or coconut milk.  Most often, I make a mix of both
when I want a latte, or to use milk to bake with.  Bette Hagman's Gluten
Free Gourmet cookbooks each list several variations on this soup recipe.

Evidently, some people have also used baby formula, too, Enfamil or some
name like that (I heard of 2 different brands, but I never found either
one in GF CF form).  I haven't tried it myself, and I don't know which
ones are GF CF, I never really pursued it.

Linda Ireland, Seattle

Older email on chicken bouillion substitutes:
I use these (mostly the chicken) from Ener-G Foods, but you can probably
find them elsewhere.  Mostly I just use it together with Bette Hagman's
Cream of Whatever Soup recipe to make up a dried powder, and I add lots
of extra onion and garlic, because that's how I like it.  But you can
find her recipe in almost all of her cookbooks.  I have used Vance's
DariFree in with it.  You just toss your meat (say cut up chicken, raw
or cooked) in the mix, which includes the boullion powder.  You mix in
your rice or partially cooked noodles, vegetables, mushrooms (fresh or
dried), chopped herbs, whatever, and put it in a casserole, and then add
your liquid to it, toss it in the oven and bake the whole shebang.  I
usually use regular chicken broth (like Pacific Foods, Imagine, Kitchen
Basics) as my liquid, to enhance the chicken flavor.  I find chicken
works better, even for a hamburger stroganoff casserole (I might use
part beef/brown and part chicken for that); to me, the chicken has a
better flavor than the beef, whether it's the dry boullion or the boxes
of liquid stock.  If you have any drippings from stir-frying your meat,
make sure to deglaze your pan and use them, too, you want every bit of
flavor you can get, and fresh is the best, the dried powder is just a
start.

You do have to be careful, though, and experiment a bit the first time
you do this, depending on how much boullion you use, it's easy to get it
too salty.  So don't put salt in your rice or noodles if you pre-cook
them, you can always add more to your taste at the end.  I have found
the liquid stock in a low-salt version, but not often, the GF low salt
versions are hard to come by.  If you do oversalt, I have tossed in
sliced zucchini at the end, it's a great way to absorb extra salt and
stretch a meal, and if you stir it into a hot casserole, it cooks by
itself in a couple of minutes, but if it sits in there too long, it will
give up too much moisture.

Oh, and I have also used one brand, I think it was Pacific Foods, that
had mushroom stock, and it was great.  You can also add some milk or
cream, if you're not dairy free (I have used a bit of coconut milk on
occasion, too.)  And I think for chicken or pork flavors that ground
celery seed is particularly nice to add to the seasoning mix as an
enhancer (along with thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, etc.)  I'm always
heavy-handed on the seasoning!  ;~D

Chicken broth (brand for both is George Washington):
http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=SoupsAndSampleKits&id=184&cat
=12

Brown broth:
http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=SoupsAndSampleKits&id=179&cat
=12

They also have a (non-dairy free) Cream of mushroom:
http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=SoupsAndSampleKits&id=138&cat
=12