From:
beth kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:18:21 -0800

Hi to all:

My 7 year old daughter Allison is a brownie Girl Scout.  Last year at
cookie selling time I baked GF Thin Mints based on a recipe that I
revised from Cookierecipe.com.

They turned out awesome and she was very pleased to be like the other
brownies in her troop.

I thought that I posted this to the list last year but I searched the
archives and did not find it.  I did take the cookies to Allison's
support group meeting and they were a hit!

So.... here goes:

GF THIN MINT COOKIES:

1-1/2 Cup GF Flour (I use Bette Hagman's rice mixture for all my cookies)
1/3 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 Cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon mint extract (I used McCormick's)
3 (1 oz. squares semisweet chocolate) (I think I doubled this amount)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until creamy.  Add the sugar, and
beat until mixed well.  Beat in egg and mint extract.

Mix GF flour, cocoa and salt together  and add mixture by halves into
creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.

Divide dough in half.  On lightly floured surface roll dough into two
1-1/2 inch diameter cylinders.  Wrap each cylinder in waxed paper, and
refrigerate 5 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prior to baking place cylinders in freezer for 30 minutes.

Remove one cylinder at a time, and slice 1/4 inch thick pieces with very
sharp knife.  Place on cookie sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart.  Bake 10
to 12 minutes.

Melt 1/4 cup butter and the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in
the microwave.  Drizzle over warm cookies.

LET COOL AND HARDEN COMPLETELY

NOTE:  I found that this last step worked best if you place the cookies
on a wire rack and then drizzled the chocolate over them.  That way the
coating will not puddle around the cookie.

ANOTHER NOTE:  This year I saw another recipe that melted mint chocolate
chips instead of the semisweet chocolate over the top.  This might taste
good too!  You might want to leave the mint out of the cookie though and
just have it in the coating.

These are a little bit of work, but the smile on my daughter's face made
it worth the effort.

Good luck and happy baking,

Beth
El Dorado Hills