From:
Jeanean Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:23:46 -0500

Greetings,

Several people inquired about what I put in the emergency kit for my sister
and mother.  I even heard from the woman who spoke at the conference and she
provided some other ideas.  Her name is Beverly Chevalier.  Thanks Beverly!

For my sister (Celiac):

Peanut Butter
Dry soup mixes that come in cartons and you just add water (I don't remember
the brand name)
Tamarind Tree Prepared Indian dinners (The Tasty Bite box is smaller)
Health Valley Rice Bars
Raisins
Single Serve Fruit cups (I think they were Del Monte)
Plastic spoons
Tea Bags
Mug
Heating Rod (I had one of these in college and wore it out) - I found it at
Target (discount store)
Water

Beverly sent the following ideas:
"There are some new Polenta Products that are available at the Gluten Free
Pantry that are quite good.  They are the same size as the Tamarind Tree
Indian products.
Not 4 star but very tasty when you are hungry.
In addition the Nutrimax soups are quite good.  You need just hot water to
make them eating ready.  They come in easy to carry containers of 90
servings."

For my mother(diabetic):
The only information I could find about diabetes in emergency situations
seemed concerned about infections so I made hers more of a first aid kit
with Neosporin, Band-Aids and such.
Also:
Hard candy
Raisins
Single Serve Fruit cups
Water
Test strips that go with her testing machine. (I took a leap of faith that
in an emergency she would grab her testing machine)

And finally,  several people reported that they have tried the Tasty Bite
dinners and really like them.

Thanks everyone!

Jeanean Davis
Edison  NJ, USA