From:
Malcolm and Ruth Chalkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 21:01:38 +0100

Dear List-members,
                            Thank you to all of you who expressed interest
and offered advice with regard to my posting about the range of
neurological problems we celiacs may encounter, in my case before I went
GF. I summarize now some of the key elements from the replies I received.
They were all most supportive. Some of these were highly technical and as a
lay person I cannot summarize these, but the areas of concern in my
original posting , namely balance and coordination, muscle weakness and
twitching, light and sound sensitivity and speech  slurring were referred
to in replies. Several people posted to me privately indicating some
commonality of symptoms namely balance problems, muscle weakness and in one
case vocalizations similar to those that I was making.
      I have had information about autism, genetic predisposition and the
need to have my family checked, as well as info' on malabsorption in
children, and the role that vitamins have played for various individuals.
     Since posting to the group I have seen the neurologist for my four
monthly checkup where I was able to tell him that I was still holding down
my job and that the symptoms were still in abeyance, apart from the balance
not being quite right yet and still some muscle weakness and tiredness
remaining. I have also met the gastroenterologist for the first time and he
is sending me for a bone density test at the end of August. Both he and the
neurologist are interested in my case, one doing a talk about it and the
other writing a paper about it, so I understand! I'll keep you posted. I am
also being monitored by a doctor doing a study into people who have the
antibodies in their system who have also had neurological problems and are
being put on a GF diet, and the results seem to be encouraging. I had a
nerve conductivity test, bloods taken and a questionnaire to fill out in
connection with this work and I will write again when I have had the
results back from these.

Ruth Chalkley (in Northern England).