From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 14:09:15 -0500

A few days ago, someone requested information about Kahlua...whether or
not it was glutenfree.  I don't remember if any definitive reply came
through.  Since I was cleaning out some recipes this morning and came
across several homemade kahlua recipes I'd been saving, I thought I'd
share what I learned.

In the recipes that I have, kahlua ingredients include water, coffee,
sugar, vanilla beans and liquor.  The liquor in one recipe is brandy,
in another it is vodka.  The coffee called for in both recipes is
instant.  Depending upon how the kahlua is made and whether or not
you consider distilled vodka as glutenfree, the ingredients in question
are 1) the coffee could be grainbased, 2) the vanilla could be extract
rather than beans, and 3) the type of liquor used.  Of course,
commercial kahlua-makers could use a whole lot of other suspect
products.  Remember, this information is based solely on two homemade
kahlua recipes.

 BJ